• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any advice on camo that can withstand briars?

Downing

I live in Arkansas and have a hunting lease that is used to produce timber. There are briars all over the place. I am looking at some new camo for the late season that can withstand the briars. I have some cowboy suede from Day One that has held up really well this year so far so I am thinking of getting some that in insulated. I also am looking at Predator Camo, Forloh, Go Wild camo, Gulch camo, and Hunters Element. Does anyone have any experience using any of these brands in 20-30 degree temps? Would they hold up to walking through constant briars? Any advice on any other camo that is made in America? Thanks in advance.

Is Cabelas still making Microtex? I have a few sets of that and the stuff wears like iron. It's quiet, most "stickers" are easily removed, it dries fast too.
What briars are you dealing with? We have stuff like Multiflora Rose, Green briar, and hawthorn in the "thorn category" and then we have beggars ticks and beggars lice, burdock, etc in the "stuff that sticks to you category". Beggars lice is the worst. It almost becomes part of the clothing on some fabrics like fleece or wool socks. I love uninsulated Microtex. I wear mine in temps into the low 20s or teens if it will warm up during the day. I just add more layers under it for cold temps and fewer layers for warmer weather.

I had a set of the Predator G2 Whitetail and it was a briar magnet. They were warm but I ended up selling them because of the briar issue.

I had a set of the Predator G2 Whitetail and it was a briar magnet. They were warm but I ended up selling them because of the briar issue.
Well that it's a bummer. That is one of the brands I was seriously contemplating buying. Thanks for the info.

Is Cabelas still making Microtex? I have a few sets of that and the stuff wears like iron. It's quiet, most "stickers" are easily removed, it dries fast too.
What briars are you dealing with? We have stuff like Multiflora Rose, Green briar, and hawthorn in the "thorn category" and then we have beggars ticks and beggars lice, burdock, etc in the "stuff that sticks to you category". Beggars lice is the worst. It almost becomes part of the clothing on some fabrics like fleece or wool socks. I love uninsulated Microtex. I wear mine in temps into the low 20s or teens if it will warm up during the day. I just add more layers under it for cold temps and fewer layers for warmer weather.
Thanks for the advice. We have greenbriars and we have an insane amount of wild blackberry briars on my lease. They are absolutely everywhere. I checked and Cabela's is still selling microtex, but only in shirts and pants. It is a decent price too, so I think I will give it a try. Unfortunately, they don't carry anything in microtex in outerwear for use during the late season.

Don’t know how tall the briars are, but your best bet might be wearing some brush-busting chaps or uninsulated Carhartt bibs over your normal camo walking in, then just leave it at the base of the tree (or strapped to your pack) during your hunt. Then you can hunt in whatever camo stuff you like best, even if it stinks against briars. This option is also great if you have beggars lice and other stickers because you can just leave them on the chaps instead of picking them off your good hunting gear.

Don’t know how tall the briars are, but your best bet might be wearing some brush-busting chaps or uninsulated Carhartt bibs over your normal camo walking in, then just leave it at the base of the tree (or strapped to your pack) during your hunt. Then you can hunt in whatever camo stuff you like best, even if it stinks against briars. This option is also great if you have beggars lice and other stickers because you can just leave them on the chaps instead of picking them off your good hunting gear.
Unfortunately we have some briars that are as tall as me. I've come home more than once with a briar in my nose. These things are ruthless. Even after they are dead they still stand up and like to reach out and bite. I have an orange hunting vest that looks more like an orange cotton ball after the past couple of years.
Thanks for the idea. I will see what available for that option.

Unfortunately we have some briars that are as tall as me. I've come home more than once with a briar in my nose. These things are ruthless. Even after they are dead they still stand up and like to reach out and bite. I have an orange hunting vest that looks more like an orange cotton ball after the past couple of years.
Thanks for the idea. I will see what available for that option.

I feel for you as I work in this stuff all week. Canvas pants, cheap polyester camo tops from midway. Just avoid brands like Sitka, First Lite and especially merino products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. We have greenbriars and we have an insane amount of wild blackberry briars on my lease. They are absolutely everywhere. I checked and Cabela's is still selling microtex, but only in shirts and pants. It is a decent price too, so I think I will give it a try. Unfortunately, they don't carry anything in microtex in outerwear for use during the late season.
Another microtex fan here, I wear merino base layers under the pants and I am good for almost anything if I am on the move, I also hunt old clear cuts and pound through briars almost everyday, I bought all my microtex cheap from the bargain cave, keep checking it will show up eventually, when it does hoard a bunch.

I feel for you as I work in this stuff all week. Canvas pants, cheap polyester camo tops from midway. Just avoid brands like Sitka, First Lite and especially merino products.

Thanks

Saw a guy this week while hunting and he had some Banded lightweight chaps that he said worked real good & that originally bought them for quail hunting

I was pulling stickers out off my clothes every walk in to stand and then also when I got back to truck

Gonna be looking up Banded chaps today

How about rattlers brand snake chaps? You can get them in camo and if they can stop snake fangs they will keep you from gettIng stuck with briars. I wear these during the summer months while in the East Ky woods and in the fall while ginsenging. Our woods are full of big rattlers. The chaps are a must have for me.

I bought a bunch of Kryptek stuff 5-6 years ago for hunting out west but have taken to using it almost all the time now.

Stuff looks almost new after all these years. Best hunting clothing i’ve ever owned.

Can’t remember the name of this one pair of pants i have from them but based on my baselayers i wear them from like mid Oct until early Jan in WI so they’ve seen HEAVY use and there isn’t a blemish on them. The briars just scrape off them without tearing them and stickers and burrs can literally just be brushed off them with my hand as they don’t stick to the fabric well at all. Just great pants.

Back