• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any Albany NY area saddle hunters?

mermatt83

Just getting into this world. Bought my first saddle (got a gently used Kestrel from someone on this site), and was wondering if there's anyone local or local-ish to Albany, NY who would be willing to meet up at some point and "show me the ropes."
Thanks,
Matt

Mermatt,are you on the huntingny forum? There is a fella going by the name rebel darling and he is in Albany and used saddle last year for the first time.
I am an hour and a half west from you and also a newbie to saddle hunting and climbing with anything besides a climbing tree stand.

I am 90 mins south of you in Montgomery, I would be willing to help you out for sure if you can come down my way? @mermatt83
Thanks for reaching out. 90 minutes is farther than i'd prefer to go, if i can find someone more local, but I'll definitely keep you in mind. My friend, Sean, who will be embarking on this journey of learning to saddlehunt at the same time as me, might want to ride somewhere together. Thank you.

Montgomery?? Hell we're neighbors, I'm across the bridge in Beekman.
@mermatt83, I can help out too if schedule works.
thanks slonstdy. Same as what I told Jefferson. I'll be sure to reach out and try to find some time to drive down to you if i can't find a saddlehunter any closer. Don't mean to sound ungrateful. I have 2 young kids, so time away from home can be hard to find!

There was talk about a Massachusetts meet I m sure if u look around u can find the info being near Albany shouldn’t be a problem

There was talk about a Massachusetts meet I m sure if u look around u can find the info being near Albany shouldn’t be a problem
Good to know. I'll try to find out the details. I've got a LOT to learn!:oops:

I'm in Syracuse. There's another guy out by Watkins Glen, we we're thing of having a meet up. He is new. I've only been swinging from a saddle for two years, but I have some equipment to try out.

I'm in Syracuse. There's another guy out by Watkins Glen, we we're thing of having a meet up. He is new. I've only been swinging from a saddle for two years, but I have some equipment to try out.
I'm from Watkins glen as well...if you do a meet up I'd be interested in attending

My uncle and Grandfather had a hunting camp/farm in Monterey about 45 mins from Watkins glen for about 30 years. I didn’t grow up hunting so I never hunted up there but we would spend the summers there it was great. The stupid high property taxes made them have to sell it after all these years. I plan to take a trip up to the public land near the farm and try to get a NY buck at some point. Any of y’all hunt near there?

My family and I hunt sugar hill state forest...about as close to Monterey as I get

Back