• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any body going to do any turkey hunting?

Bigburner

I'm not quite in the groove yet but I drew a tag for the first week of the season on state land. I'm back to back for the last two years with bow kills. The first one with no ground blind and the second with a blind. I think I might try fanning for a bird this year with a mojo tail chaser. I've seen guys walk right up to birds in plain sight with those things. Little risky on the public but it's dead as far as seeing other people on the weekdays. I'm still in full on deer scouting/shed hunting mode so once I see a big beard dragger the turkey OCD switch will probabley go on.

Bigburner said:
I'm not quite in the groove yet but I drew a tag for the first week of the season on state land. I'm back to back for the last two years with bow kills. The first one with no ground blind and the second with a blind. I think I might try fanning for a bird this year with a mojo tail chaser. I've seen guys walk right up to birds in plain sight with those things. Little risky on the public but it's dead as far as seeing other people on the weekdays. I'm still in full on deer scouting/shed hunting mode so once I see a big beard dragger the turkey OCD switch will probabley go on.

First of all, turkey hunting with a bow is impressive to me. Second.. shooting one without a blind is really badass. I have heard good things about the tail chaser, but where I hunt I would never dream of using one.

I've only shot one turkey but I've become addicted to it and I am getting better. I'm hoping to finally get over the hump this year. NJ has the permit system broken up into individual weeks and a weekend permit. I was awarded a weekend permit for the zone I go with my father and I have a week off the last week of April for a zone which I can buy OTC. They have also changed the last 2 weeks of our season to permit all day hunting so I picked one of those up just in case I can get out after work.

I am actually going to a turkey seminar/calling clinic tomorrow. I am also still in winter deer scouting mode but I'm keeping my eyes open for turkeys. Its tough cause we have so much snow on the ground still but I think I have found a couple of roost sites.

I will be going in May. In MN we can bowhunt turkey the entire month of May with an over the counter license. This will be my first season. I've called for a few other people in the past, but I have never had a weapon with me.

I just used my cabelas giftcards from christmas and got their tactical tat'r II kickstand vest. It has an aluminum frame built into the back of it that you can use to lean back in like a chair so that you don't need to lean against the tree. I was playing with it adjusting the straps this morning and I think I'm going to like it.

Living in California the season opened up last weekend. Out here at least I think its easier to go without the blind (and definately more fun) even with the bow.

Jajtner01 said:
Living in California the season opened up last weekend. Out here at least I think its easier to go without the blind (and definately more fun) even with the bow.

I prefer to go without a blind as well. I still have 2.5 weeks to go here in NJ before my season starts. I'm not good enough at turkey hunting to take out the bow though :lol:

Back