• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any experience with Ultralight Climbing Harnesses?

justsomedude

92 grams! http://www.weighmyrack.com/Harness/CAMP-Alp-Racing
It can't be comfortable but you won't die.
No gear loops (carabiner soft loops on the sides) and minimal hardware.
Over heavy winter clothes it's probably fine.
About $50

I wonder how much of a drag it is to use ascending where you have to hang while using a no stick or one stick method.

I ordered one from Backcountry. We'll find out
This pic got me...
alp-racing-in-hand.jpg

Last edited:
FYI

The CAMP "Flash" is a Sport Climbing Harness that weighs 236 gr. That is about 100 grams lighter than the Alpine BOD

I am using a Black Diamond Couloir which is a very light harness. I wouldn't want to hang in it for a long time but it is great for a backup to the sit drag.

That Black Diamond looks like a nice balance between bulk and extreme lightweight.
On my Alpine BOD, the crotch strap drives me crazy.

The Camp Alp Racing Harness at 92gr doesn't even have adjustable leg loops. Reviews say it is OK for short periods of rappel and belay but you wouldn't want to take lead falls on it all day or hang for extended periods of time.

0286-ALP-RACING-141-650x650.jpg

A couple nice things about the Couloir over the Camp Alp is you can put it on and off without stepping into the harness. It also has soft gear loops and a weight bearing rear loop. I use these as my lineman belt by running a climbing strap around the belt with loops tied in the end.

I sit in my harness while one stick climbing and it is plenty comfortable for that length of time.

One of my concerns with my current harness came up when experimenting with the "Hammock Sling" which expands up on to your back. I didnt like the rear loops and straps pushing into my back or into the hammock material.

But yeah...stepping into slings in the dark/cold is a bummer. Maybe since it is so compact I will just put it on right when I get dressed.

You wouldn't use these as a hunting saddle or would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't use these as a hunting saddle or would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need another support device for comfort. If you were just standing on a platform...MAYBE.
But standing on a platform and sitting down on a sit drag every now and then this could be ok

That Black Diamond looks like a nice balance between bulk and extreme lightweight.
On my Alpine BOD, the crotch strap drives me crazy.

The Camp Alp Racing Harness at 92gr doesn't even have adjustable leg loops. Reviews say it is OK for short periods of rappel and belay but you wouldn't want to take lead falls on it all day or hang for extended periods of time.
It would suck to hang from. Plain and simple. I have this one and it's not great but while my wife is losing weight she wasn't willing to drop $54 for a harness and then have to buy another one in a couple months. It's only $29-35
http://www.everestgear.com/abcguhabl.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=abcguhabl

Just got the Camp Alp racer in the mail. Crazy.

You could wear this under thick insulated outer layers if you can get to the loop. The loop comes up over the belt so I could definitely wear it under my ASAT leafy suit

Of course if I wear it on the outside of my wool overalls, I would get some nice padding out of that.

Last edited:
OK....I went and hung around in it for a bit.

NOT FOR FAT GUYS!

I am 6'1" 210# with 35" waist.
If you wear it tight, the front pulls up and it isn't pleasant.
If you wear it loose and keep the belt low in the back it isn't bad at all.
You just don't want it so high and loose that it is squeezing your ribs.

No groin pinch problems which is nice. I have had some bad experiences with the BOD.

It's too hot out now but I want to try it with my thick wool pants or overalls (Columbia).

I would definitely use this with a climbing stick or strapped aiders and Sitdrag/Hammock rig.
I am going to try it with my Sit and Climb XOP Climbing Seat platform to ma ke sure but it seemed like it would be fine for that too.

NO Stick with one set of Aiders, I would have to see.
And it is definitely fine for short rappel.

I hate putting them on at the stand site over my clothes.

Yep, I put my bod on at the car as well as my saddle and walk out to the woods. Both are so light and non restrictive, there's no reason not to wear them on the walk in/out.

Back