• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any flintknappers out there

Never knapped any points but I always loved finding old ones when I’m out hunting. Much respect to you and your skills! Out of curiosity, what does your average hunting point weigh?

Never knapped any points but I always loved finding old ones when I’m out hunting. Much respect to you and your skills! Out of curiosity, what does your average hunting point weigh?
Weight fluctuates but when I put a stone point on a shaft I typically shoot for 150 grns if I have to drill a small hole and put lead shot before i glue so be it. I killed a pig with a point less than 1/2 inch wide and close to 25 grns though

Very nice! I don't do any knapping but I've got a buddy who does. He used to find arrow heads but once he got bored of that he started flint knapping instead. He's got cases and cases of old arrow heads. I'll take a picture next time I'm over there, it's a fairly impressive collection.

Very nice! I don't do any knapping but I've got a buddy who does. He used to find arrow heads but once he got bored of that he started flint knapping instead. He's got cases and cases of old arrow heads. I'll take a picture next time I'm over there, it's a fairly impressive collection.
That's how I got into it I still hunt arrowheads on a regular basis. I probably have a few thousand arrowheads

Yeah but I cheat and use 2 par epoxy instead of pine pitch View attachment 50550
Have you ever tried hide glue?
I find it fascinating that you can boil down certain animal materials and make glue. Also amazing that one brain can tan one hide.
Our great Creator sure knew what he was doing!

Have you ever tried hide glue?
I find it fascinating that you can boil down certain animal materials and make glue. Also amazing that one brain can tan one hide.
Our great Creator sure knew what he was doing!
Nah never tried it

If anybody wants to get into knapping, next time you see a toilet somebody is throwing away, go take the reservoir lid. Johnstone. It’s great for practicing.

For the OP, did I see some Jasper or some Buffalo River Chert in there?

If anybody wants to get into knapping, next time you see a toilet somebody is throwing away, go take the reservoir lid. Johnstone. It’s great for practicing.

From top to bottom its knife river flint, citronell, Burlington, petrified wood, nethers flint ridge

A knapper from here in PA made a head from a toilet for a friend of mine. It turned out pretty nice.

Back