• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any recommended Small Business Forums..

TreeCreep

SH Member
Hello All,
Does anyone have any suggestions for small business forums that are as helpful and maybe even entertaining as this group?
I ask this, fully aware that the internet is full of well meaning but misguided posts and / or blatant self promotion.
most I’ve visited are too difficult to weed thru click bait and multi level marketing hacks.
I have enjoyed reading some of the side gig and business related posts here.
thought I’d ask as there seem to be a lot of diverse backgrounds here.

I’m getting out of the landlord gig and am researching some non hunting goals.

So passive income/get rich quick schemes don't work? Ah man say it ain't so!

What are you good at/willing to absolutely bust your balls at?

I once in awhile kill time on a couple reddit subs that aren't bad. /smallbusiness and a couple specific to industries I work in. But yeah, it's the genearl public so you run into a lot of idiots and wannabes and the like too.

Last edited:
Interesting that you're getting out of the landlord game, I've dreamed about getting into that game myself, but always seem to have something come up to keep it slightly out of reach. If you're willing to share any more about what you've been doing/why the change, either here or in a private message, I'd be interested to hear. Can't help a lot re:forums but my dad is a successful inventor/entrepreneur so I have some tangential experience/can ask him questions if you'd like me to.

yes, a focus would narrow things down. or talking to a CPA ( you right?)
Mmm. rental property is great if that lines up to your long term goal. I have family that has done the Airbnb / vrbo thing and it can be profitable, not really stress free or rewarding.
My property was my first home which I bought in my 20’s it is located out of state from where I live now. The real estate market is still so high here that I want to focus on buying a primary home and reassess investment properties at a later time.
Rental; mostly went really well until having a difficult tenant that got in the way of multiple agreements to sell, and played the courts. Retired man that did not want to move in a tenant rights state, can drag things out…..
my youngest brother has been moderately successful ( engineer and real estate ) and I’ve been encouraging him to start his own focused service business ( electrical.)

I guess I’m trying to filter out the passive income / influencer / retire early content that is so common nowadays.
I‘ll be 45 this year. I’d prefer to work my butt off at something that is profitable; not a “what are passionate about” type but yes “ lifestyle “ is always the end game.
I have had a successful career, and enjoy my job. I try to move forward both when I’m comfortable and when stock performance drives counter intuitive management decisions. I have ruled out the management track at corporate office and relocating for work is a challenge I’m glad I checked off but unwilling to repeat until My kids are grown.

I have a few hobbies that I’ve spent a healthy amount of discretionary time and money on, so I think I am researching small business as a hobby maybe a 2nd act when I’m older.

Yes I am a CPA. I honestly don't know much about the real estate gigs. There are some intricacies of tax strategy with that I've just never got involved with.

I mostly work with service businesses especially the trades. Landscapers, arborists, home inspectors, all different types of residential contractors, etc. It's all pretty structurally similar.

Those industries present some of the best opportunities for the average person to be a business owner. They offer a relatively reasonable, moderated risk path to ownership by being able to start small, often just a guy and his tools, and scale from there adding a crew at a time.

It's just flat-out not one of those sexy, passive income, I hacked life kinda deals though. I've seen many folks build tremendously successful businesses to the point where they can somewhat sit back and have a team in place to run it, but you have to figure a decade or three of busting your hump and maybe even catching a few breaks along the way to get there. I've seen a few guys defy the archetype, but it really is true that the ones that succeed the most often just flat out work their balls off.

Yes I am a CPA. I honestly don't know much about the real estate gigs. There are some intricacies of tax strategy with that I've just never got involved with.

I mostly work with service businesses especially the trades. Landscapers, arborists, home inspectors, all different types of residential contractors, etc. It's all pretty structurally similar.

Those industries present some of the best opportunities for the average person to be a business owner. They offer a relatively reasonable, moderated risk path to ownership by being able to start small, often just a guy and his tools, and scale from there adding a crew at a time.

It's just flat-out not one of those sexy, passive income, I hacked life kinda deals though. I've seen many folks build tremendously successful businesses to the point where they can somewhat sit back and have a team in place to run it, but you have to figure a decade or three of busting your hump and maybe even catching a few breaks along the way to get there. I've seen a few guys defy the archetype, but it really is true that the ones that succeed the most often just flat out work their balls off.
Thanks for the reply. You must get asked for the magic pill often in your line of work / professional forums.
my dad was a contractor and taught me early there is No substitute for hard work. I try to instill the same in my daughters.

Im already on the right path to my goals, unfortunately the theme there is slowly; develop talent, save more than you spend, let the time value of money do it’s thing, avoid debt for depreciating assets, no day trading.

I try not to rest on my laurels it’s all too common in the corporate world and you never fully know what your capable of until you hoe your own row.

I’ll reach out if I ever nut up and go in on a non real estate side gig.
I’m way too rational and the widgets never push me over the edge from a cost / benefit view.

on topic - I’ve found some value in a few of the e commerce blogs, investment blogs like “boggleheads” and SBA forums.
overall, it’s kind of like hunting forums- there is too much info, you have to get out in the woods and send it.

Don’t laugh, or take this the wrong way…. But pray about it as a foundational step. I come from an ultra prideful and competitive nature and am always naturally a jerk. But I pray about these things and read the word. His guidance will guide you. Proverbs also has great verses in dealing with life. The seeking of wise counsel from trusted advisers is biblical.

whoa. Throwback.
“ come from an ultra prideful and competitive nature and am always naturally a jerk.”
so when are we hunting?

J/k - prayer for guidance and prayers for others are always a good strategy

. Since this post I closed on my investment property ( my first home) .

Hopefully my post came across as interested in learning and not ungrateful.

Life is good . Merry Christmas.

Back