• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

any saddle hunters in southern ontario?

Jimmy Wallhanger

Im hoping there is a saddle hunter in southern ontario, I live in Newmarket and am hoping thee is a hunter within 2 hour drive that would let me try out the saddle to see if its something I would be comfortable using next season. Its hard to convince the boss to let me spend $600 on a new method after I spent $550 on a LW sit and climb last season.

Hi Jimmy,
I'm in Brighton. It's on the shore of Lake Ontario between Cobourg and Belleville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a trophy line tree saddle. If your looking at the new tribe, this isn't it, but close enough to give you an idea of the method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in Michigan about 1/2 hr from Sarnia. Looks like Newmarket is all the way over by Toronto about 2.5-3 hrs away. If you wanted to venture stateside I'd be happy to let you try my size2 evolution out. Your call.

-Sent from d_mobile

My opinion take it or leave it, but just sitting in a saddle for 20min won't tell you much. Resale is pretty good, if you don't end up liking it. Not sure why it would cost $600? You could do a DIY, think I have about $125 into mine.

awsome replies, thanks. Fawnzy I know Brighton well. It is on the way to my moms and I will be heading out that way to head up to Perth in a couple of weeks. I will PM you.

kenn1320 said:
My opinion take it or leave it, but just sitting in a saddle for 20min won't tell you much. Resale is pretty good, if you don't end up liking it. Not sure why it would cost $600? You could do a DIY, think I have about $125 into mine.

The saddle with ropes is $399 US which is $475 canadain plus shipping, plus climbing sticks etc. I just want to sit on one for about 10 minutes to see if I feel safe and it is something I would be able to do. I like my climber alot but see the advantages to a saddle.

Jimmy Wallhanger said:
kenn1320 said:

The saddle with ropes is $399 US which is $475 canadain plus shipping, plus climbing sticks etc. I just want to sit on one for about 10 minutes to see if I feel safe and it is something I would be able to do. I like my climber alot but see the advantages to a saddle.

Sorry, didn't notice you didn't have sticks. I can honestly say I never felt safer than when I was wearing my saddle. As a teen i would climb 30ft without a harness and think nothing of it. As I got older I used a harness but not a lineman belt and 25ft felt high. Forward to age 40 and I got my saddle and could climb till I was out of steps with zero fear. Well going around a branch and removing the lineman belt was scary. Now with dual lineman belts, ill climb like crazy with no fear.
The ambush I had felt fun and great the first 20min i tried it. I quickly learned the downfalls on my first hunt(outer thigh pinch, sore knees, legs falling asleep on cold long sits). Sounds like the modern saddle or web are far better in that department. Good luck, sounds like you will have a chance to see how safe you feel. The first time letting go at hunting height can be unnerving, but that quickly fades and you will find yourself wanting to walk around when you should be sitting still and hunting. Lol

Back