• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any stats on Saddle Hunting accidents/deaths?

LiverEatingJoe

Aug 16, 2018
Western North Carolina
In a conversation with another hunting buddy, the talk turned to hunting from a saddle.

We both realized that though there are numbers and stats for tree stand accidents, there are none for saddle hunting (that I could find).

Does anyone know.....?

Catskills

Feb 28, 2018
Sullivan County, NY
The stat probably does not exist since it would probably be considered a tree stand accident. This community stresses always being attached to the tree which lots of traditional hunters aren't always necessarily stressing.

Reactions: jryser

Cajunshooter

Jul 25, 2017
I believe the only way that stat is going to be found would be through a survey on this forum.

That might be a really good idea to add!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

River Hunter

Jul 19, 2017
Minnesota
I was doing some research on this as I'm trying to get saddles approved for our metro bow hunts (they only allow tma certified stands and harnesses).

The closest thing I could find was arborist accidents. But most of those were due to cutting through the tether, branches falling on the arborist, or being attached to a limb that is being cut. As far as hunting goes I couldn't find anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: MetroHunter

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
I’m not a fan of heights and I switched to a saddle due to vertigo when sitting in a loc on with nothing in front of me. I can hunt out of my climber facing away from the tree because when I start feeling the vertigo coming on I can look down at the bar on the stand and it all goes away. Even so, I only make very deliberate moves in my climber, but I find myself not even thinking about height when I’m in a saddle. I really don’t see how you could fall while in one. You might fall climbing, but I don’t see it happening once you’re hooked into your tether.

celestialproduct

Aug 31, 2018
I was doing some research on this as I'm trying to get saddles approved for our metro bow hunts (they only allow tma certified stands and harnesses).

The closest thing I could find was arborist accidents. But most of those were due to cutting through the tether, branches falling on the arborist, or being attached to a limb that is being cut. As far as hunting goes I couldn't find anything.

Whoa, I'm from MN as well and would like to get into the MBRB to do some of those hunts. Good to know.

Gamover06

Oct 24, 2018
SE Minneosta
My wife is having hard time wrapping her head around that saddle hunting is safer then tree stand. Apparently I have to prove to her I wont die because she wants me around. Ahhhhhhhhh sometimes.

I tell her well I will buy one and show you how it is safer. hahahaha didn't work.

River Hunter

Jul 19, 2017
Minnesota
Whoa, I'm from MN as well and would like to get into the MBRB to do some of those hunts. Good to know.
The president of the MBRB supports it, just a few younger board members are against it. He's going to schedule time for Ernie and I to do a presentation to the board to convince them. I'll keep you posted!

Reactions: celestialproduct

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
I've been using a saddle (sling) exclusively since 1981 and knew the Greens (owners of Trophyline) very well and have talked to Sophia (owner of New Tribe) on many occasions and know Greg and Ernie of Tethrd. To date there has never been a fall due to a saddle failure. However you can't fix stupid and there was a single lawsuit case filed back in 2012 out of Missouri that I believe was dropped because of user error. The defense law firm had sent me the letter below to go in and testify on the saddles defense because I was the most knowledgeable outside source on saddle hunting and saddle use that was not affiliated with the manufacturer.

I sent the law firm my hunting resume from using a saddle and we spoke several times but I don't think the case ever made it to court before being dropped. I needed the money too, so I was little miffed. I also wanted to discuss under oath in front of a jury how it was impossible to fall from a saddle when using it as designed.

1545050351957.png

Reactions: LiverEatingJoe