• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any Strength loss with extra loops

ShortFuse

So I’m bored at work and looking for new ideas on a fixed bridge. Any strength loss with going over bridge loop twice before going back into figure 8 on bight
6945C9C5-4107-4B91-ADFE-A160F4C5D546.jpeg

Anytime you put a tight bend in a rope it will weaken the rope some. With a sufficiently strong rope and a minimal bend around the webbing, it is certainly nothing I would worry about. Great idea though to keep the bridge from moving so much on the bridge loops.

FWIW I had to take a class in my apprenticeship called knot tying and rigging it was one part of a 10 week long class called construction technology
And short version is this
Every time per the textbooks statements we used in class you put a knot in a rope you should assume you weaken it's breaking strength by a minimum of 40%
I do know any time you knot a rope it will reduce its breaking point but I don't know how much anymore or if that rule varies by the material the rope is made from or not.
Now that was back in 1986 and there are materials now they are making rope from that didn't even exist in 1986.
I would personally see if a Google search can provide some documented information from a utterly reliable accredit source on how knots impact braking strength of particular rope materials before I trust my life to just opinion or general consensus of what people think is safe

Yes, it works better than Tethrd's comfort channels. I got the idea from @Allegheny Tom some time ago.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have prusiks both sides on mine, but they lock up so hard after hanging that adjusting them is a real pain and about impossible with gloves on. I might give this a shot. Seems like it will weaken the rope less than a girth hitch and perform a similar function.

FWIW I had to take a class in my apprenticeship called knot tying and rigging it was one part of a 10 week long class called construction technology
And short version is this
Every time per the textbooks statements we used in class you put a knot in a rope you should assume you weaken it's breaking strength by a minimum of 40%
I do know any time you knot a rope it will reduce its breaking point but I don't know how much anymore or if that rule varies by the material the rope is made from or not.
Now that was back in 1986 and there are materials now they are making rope from that didn't even exist in 1986.
I would personally see if a Google search can provide some documented information from a utterly reliable accredit source on how knots impact braking strength of particular rope materials before I trust my life to just opinion or general consensus of what people think is safe
Preventing loss of strength was one of the things I had in mind when I finally decided on doing a wrap around the bridge loops with the Amsteel. In the beginning, I was doing girth hitches. Somewhere (can't remember where) I read something that made question if the girth was as strong as just doing a double or triple wrap. The wrap works just as well as the girth and the Amsteel (or webbing works, too) is not knotted or binding against itself. With wrap, the rope or webbing travels around the bridge loops in a continuous manner. I have no way to test my theory but it is not a knot so I'm assuming (you know what they say about assuming) that a wrap is stronger or at least as a girth or a knot.

That being said, not all knots are created equal for breaking strength. Check out Knot Wars and you'll see documented testing of how various knots hold up for breaking strength.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Preventing loss of strength was one of the things I had in mind when I finally decided on doing a wrap around the bridge loops with the Amsteel. In the beginning, I was doing girth hitches. Somewhere (can't remember where) I read something that made question if the girth was as strong as just doing a double or triple wrap. The wrap works just as well as the girth and the Amsteel (or webbing works, too) is not knotted or binding against itself. With wrap, the rope or webbing travels around the bridge loops in a continuous manner. I have no way to test my theory but it is not a knot so I'm assuming (you know what they say about assuming) that a wrap is stronger or at least as a girth or a knot.

That being said, not all knots are created equal for breaking strength. Check out Knot Wars and you'll see documented testing of how various knots hold up for breaking strength.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have seen figure 8’s provide strongest break strength at 70 ish % but the additional wraps I did I don’t know if it takes away. Ultimately I’m doing a fixed bridge double eye with petzl rings on either side. My Amstel makes me feel uneasy. I don’t like how it looks and I catch myself staring at it more than I hunt. So after talking with other people here, there’s nothing wrong with it, if it’s not going to make me feel confident... I don’t want it. I ended up ordering a fixed bridge and will see how it makes me feel.

Back