• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any tips/best practices for getting permissions for Urban Archery?

LiverEatingJoe

Our state (NC) has some towns that offer an Urban Archery season which extends quite a bit past regular season. Some towns are about an hour from me and I'm trying to figure out how to get permission on properties that are located in the Urban Archery zones. I know most are probably already locked down but if you don't ask, you'll never know, right?

Anyone have any experience with Urban Archery? Seems like a perfect made scenarios for a saddle hunter.

I scored 2 spots. 1 was co worker's mom didn't like deer eating her flowers. Another I located in another sub due to deer eating flowers. I shot 4 deer and 3 made it off the properties. That in my opinion is the biggest challenge to urban hunting.

Urban Archery - if land is in a tight suburban setting, you may want to limit your shots to 10-15 max. Heart shots only.

@kenn1320 has the key. Most people unless the deer are being destructive, most people don’t want to see Bambi getting killed around the swing sets.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. Looking for places in Virginia. There is one chunk of public access land I will try. Still looking for private areas near my house. (Central VA).

Our state (NC) has some towns that offer an Urban Archery season which extends quite a bit past regular season. Some towns are about an hour from me and I'm trying to figure out how to get permission on properties that are located in the Urban Archery zones. I know most are probably already locked down but if you don't ask, you'll never know, right?

Anyone have any experience with Urban Archery? Seems like a perfect made scenarios for a saddle hunter.
I know seek one productions has talked about it in some podcasts and on their youtube. I think it comes down to being friendly, confident, looking like a normal person(no camo, giant beard, or knives hanging from your belt, etc...), and explaining your qualifications(been a bow hunter for 15 years, blah blah blah) goals(ethical kill, meat for the family, population control in these areas, disease reduction, starvation).

Once you get one, ask them who would be good to ask, and also ask all the neighbors. Everybody is more comfortable with you once they know the other guy down the street trusts you, even if they don't even talk.

Knock on every door that has a couple acres or more. Assuming the deer use those acres. Be honest, straightforward and upfront. Don’t beat around the bush. Introduce yourself briefly and ask them politely if they would let you bow hunt for deer. Most people will say no, but if you keep asking, someone will say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

there is a podcast around about urban deer hunting

he claims people seek him out once they know a hunter lives in the neighborhood, or clearing out deer on their neighbors property

here is another one but not listen to it
https://www.traditionaloutdoors.com/2018/07/22/to19/

seems like a need not being met, the first podcast he focuses on destruction and safety to ask permission
and also feels it's his duty to take out these deer, good listen

also this guy is a saddle hunter - kudos

I would look around the internet for how the others approach urban deer hunting, seems a fair amount of material out there

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. Looking for places in Virginia. There is one chunk of public access land I will try. Still looking for private areas near my house. (Central VA).

Check out Outdoor Access. You have to pay but it is like AirBnB for hunting and they have a lot of urban/suburban archery spots to offer. The buck in my pic I killed through urban archery in Lynchburg. Had 12 doe run past me this past Saturday urban archery. Most of the properties I have snag have been through neighbors talking and referring. The cool thing is if you can get one person on the street then you can usually get more. Also take a look for people that might have yards that they have put money into. Those people are usually more likely to grant you access based on the unwanted deer destruction. Hardest part of Urban Archery is dealing with people especially if you are after a specific deer.

Check out Outdoor Access. You have to pay but it is like AirBnB for hunting and they have a lot of urban/suburban archery spots to offer. The buck in my pic I killed through urban archery in Lynchburg. Had 12 doe run past me this past Saturday urban archery. Most of the properties I have snag have been through neighbors talking and referring. The cool thing is if you can get one person on the street then you can usually get more. Also take a look for people that might have yards that they have put money into. Those people are usually more likely to grant you access based on the unwanted deer destruction. Hardest part of Urban Archery is dealing with people especially if you are after a specific deer.

What sort of fees are involved with Outdoor Access? I see it looks like $99 to join, but are there additional fees based on selected properties?

What sort of fees are involved with Outdoor Access? I see it looks like $99 to join, but are there additional fees based on selected properties?

Well it depends on the property. Some of them you can just see if they are free on the dates you want and book them. Others may have a daily or a weekly fee.

Back