• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any tips for more comfort when climbing SRT? ( suspended from the rope in other words)

Dirk Dangler

I've had some success with SRT this year including one animal so far, but….I got into a such an uncomfortable position yesterday during a climb I realize I don’t have it figured out yet. This particular tree forces you to have an anchor point a little bit away from the trunk so your basically just hanging on the rope on the way up. It’s not as bad when you've got your foot in the ascender loop but when I stopped to attach my platform I took my foot out and was just hanging in the saddle. It was awful. I felt like I was getting squeezed in two. I’m using a single panel saddle, I don’t want to name it because it’s a nice one and I like the guys who make it, but man you can’t stand to hang in it for long. Any body else encountered this or have fixes?

I SRT’d last year and was having the same issues as the OP. I SRT’d the last two days and definitely do what shot thru said. I practiced in the off season and that’s what worked better for me also.

SRT is going to be more comfortable in saddles such as a Cruzr XC or AH Flex. The style that really have some seat area. I’m sure some of the newer two panels where the panels are connected would work well too.

Go into your backyard, rope a tree limb and sit in your saddle like you would a playground swing. Find out where the pinch is coming from and adjust your saddle down until it cups your butt more. Some single panels I've played with are narrower which makes for a comfortable lean but have to be slid down more to cup your butt when climbing.

When I first start my SRT climb, I sit down in my saddle to load the rope but also adjust its position to make for a comfortable climb. I usually then will readjust once at height.

Lean back and let the saddle come under your center of gravity. This should take less energy to stay in a single spot. If you’re near the top of the climb where you want to set up but you’re still far away from the tree you can swing until you reach the tree and squeeze with your legs to hold close to the tree while you set your platform. Maintain the mostly horizontal position while doing this.

As others have mentioned a two panel or a pleated saddle would give you more support under your butt which would allow you to lean back more comfortably

Back