• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any tips for taking shine off fabric?

ThereWillBeSpuds

Nov 12, 2019
I have a couple yards of some very quiet veveteen polyester that I want to use for making some dump bags but its pretty shiny, the color is an alright beige color, just worried about it catching light in a weird way.

Anyway, I am looking for some way to knock the shine down without changing the surface texture too much. Was thinking of a very light misting of matte spray paint, but looking for other ideas. Worried that even the lightest paint mist might make the fabric louder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
Couple methods come to mind, very fine sandpaper, in a dryer with a tennis ball or shoes, drag it around the yard for awhile.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
I did this to a vinyl troopers hat with the ear flaps. I got dark gray duplicolor spray paint for vinyl fabric (bought at autozone and meant for stuff like car seats, so it is flexible). I then squirted it on a rag and rubbed a thin layer on the hat. It has worked well. I basically acted like I was using it as a stain, but just left it on. You can see the underlying fabric but it makes it a matte finish.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
I have a couple yards of some very quiet veveteen polyester that I want to use for making some dump bags but its pretty shiny, the color is an alright beige color, just worried about it catching light in a weird way.

Anyway, I am looking for some way to knock the shine down without changing the surface texture too much. Was thinking of a very light misting of matte spray paint, but looking for other ideas. Worried that even the lightest paint mist might make the fabric louder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Try it on a small piece you cut off and see if it does. I've colored fabric with paint, and any increase in noise is so small that a deer would have to be on top of you to hear it.

Reactions: ThereWillBeSpuds