• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any trad guys here?

mtn_goat

Hi all, new guy here to the forum. Any trad guys here....and more specifically any trad guys hunting out of saddles? If so, hows that working for you?

Thanks, Nathan

I hunt trad but just got my first saddle yesterday. Looking forward to learning to shoot my longbows from it. Gave up climber when I went trad as it limited my shot selection. I like my loc-on’s but think I’m really going to dig the saddle.

What kind of stick you shoot. I’ve got a 66” 7lakes Long Night in Curly Maple with Cherry limbs, 60” Black Hunter and 62” Centaur on order. Be here in July. I’m doing Coco riser with Juniper Heartwood limbs and Sheep horn tips and overlays.

All Trad all the time! 15 years now with the stick. This will be my first year hunting out of the saddle as well. I have been shooting out of it a lot. Shooting a Trad bow out of a saddle makes shooting one out of a metal stand look like a joke! The extreme shooting angles you can achieve with a stickbow out of a saddle is amazing (all while maintaining good body alignment and accuracy). I consider myself a "modern traditionalist". WF 19 ILF riser with Dryad Legend ACS RC limbs.

I hunt trad but just got my first saddle yesterday. Looking forward to learning to shoot my longbows from it. Gave up climber when I went trad as it limited my shot selection. I like my loc-on’s but think I’m really going to dig the saddle.

What kind of stick you shoot. I’ve got a 66” 7lakes Long Night in Curly Maple with Cherry limbs, 60” Black Hunter and 62” Centaur on order. Be here in July. I’m doing Coco riser with Juniper Heartwood limbs and Sheep horn tips and overlays.

Centaurs are SUPER SWEET!!!!

10essee, Im shooting a 58" Zipper Nitro right now, 52@29. Sweet shooter !
I use to have a Treesaddle I hunted out of back in my compound days. Once I started hunting with traditional equipment full time I sold my Saddle because I didn't like the tether in my face. Im wanting to revisit the saddle now. So does the tether give you guys any trouble?

ckossuth, you answered one of the questions I was going to ask ! One of the problems I've found with shooting a recurve or longbow out of a stand is at game that is close,my leg always seems to be in the way. Was hoping the saddle would be better to shoot out of at game that are 15 yds and in.

I primarily shoot a Border Covert Hunter with Hex7.5h limbs but I have a set of Hex8 limbs on order. 19" riser, medium limbs, 50lbs @ 28". It's a heavy hitter. I can throw 10 gpp at over 200 fps or go up to 13 gpp and still keep it in comfortably in the 180s.
117def6bbd60c7a103b12bbfee24a94b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ckossuth, you answered one of the questions I was going to ask ! One of the problems I've found with shooting a recurve or longbow out of a stand is at game that is close,my leg always seems to be in the way. Was hoping the saddle would be better to shoot out of at game that are 15 yds and in.

Look at my "Kestrel Clone Action Pics" thread just a few down from this one. You'll see, ZERO issues!

I primarily shoot a Border Covert Hunter with Hex7.5h limbs but I have a set of Hex8 limbs on order. 19" riser, medium limbs, 50lbs @ 28". It's a heavy hitter. I can throw 10 gpp at over 200 fps or go up to 13 gpp and still keep it in comfortably in the 180s.

I have got to try some ILF Border Hex 7.5's one of these days! I love the super recurves! My Dryads are similar with the perceived "let off", but not quite the same caliber of the Borders. Nice Bear!

I have got to try some ILF Border Hex 7.5's one of these days! I love the super recurves! My Dryads are similar with the perceived "let off", but not quite the same caliber of the Borders. Nice Bear!
The Hex8 limbs actually have a minor letoff...0.5 - 1lb. Amazing feat in limb engineering.

Nice bear Bass. That’s killer speed for a trad bow. My 7lakes won’t shoot near that but it throws a 12 gpp and a 200gr treeshark like a dart with machete on the end. 53@29.

The Centaur is a gift to myself for my 40th bday. I figured might as well go big for at least one bow. Oddly enough when I ordered my first Simmons treesharks and was talking with Dave he was tell that Jim from Centaur gets most of his Juniper from his ranch. Big planet small world.

Been shooting recurve for 15 years. Using Guido's web for 6 years and I don't use any other stands. No problem in any way. Just got to move and draw when they are not looking. A few doubles and more than 1 shot at the same deer, when I misssssssssssss!!!

Back