• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any trees you wont climb?

Jmilchuck3

Any trees you wont climb based on the type of tree/bark?

Main reason for my question is I have a shag bark hickory that gives me great shooting lines to a food plot a trail and an apple tree, but I'm not sure how I feel about attempting it with my hawk heliums?

Or an I over thinking it and the hawks should grip it fine and I should just go drop the hammer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Main reason for my question is I have a shag bark hickory that gives me great shooting lines to a food plot a trail and an apple tree, but I'm not sure how I feel about attempting it with my hawk heliums?

Or an I over thinking it and the hawks should grip it fine and I should just go drop the hammer?

Try one stick. If it feels too spongy on the tree, set up some ground cover at the base of the trunk and hunt from the ground.

I think I'd attempt a shag bark hickory. Be safe. If it feels sketchy, don't do it. I just won't hunt trees that I know have poison ivy vines on them. No way.

Paper bark maple trees...the branches break off so easy...as big as my forearm and it snaps like a twig.

Cottonwoods!! One of the worst! Especially with climbing spurs! Then sycamore. Both are very soft brittle wood.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

one of my best stands ever was in a shaggy bark hickory. Just watch out during heavy mast years, those nuts will ding you pretty good. i spent one fall getting pummeled but i saw a bunch of nice bucks.

one of my best stands ever was in a shaggy bark hickory. Just watch out during heavy mast years, those nuts will ding you pretty good. i spent one fall getting pummeled but i saw a bunch of nice bucks.
I guess I'll have to risk it!!! Its a little chunk of private that I have within 30 yards a heavily used trail, oaks, that shagbark, and a food plot. That seems like a recipe for a good thing!

I guess I'll have to risk it!!! Its a little chunk of private that I have within 30 yards a heavily used trail, oaks, that shagbark, and a food plot. That seems like a recipe for a good thing!

i had no problems with it, although i was using the 20ft climbing sticks and a lock on. i went back to that spot this year (my lease land was sold to the state which is why i decided to give the saddle a try) with full intentions of using that tree again. its one in a group of three (hickory and 2 maples) but another tree fell and the top in now lodged in the middle of the 3 so no go but trust me, if there was a way i could get in it, i would.

Dead trees, ones with poison ivy, thorny ones, trees with bees
Lol, its so funny you mention bees. 2 weeks ago I was checking a camera on my brother-in-laws property and walked by one his ladder stands and saw this. I told him I saw a ton of sign there and he definitely needed to hunt there opening day
bae24ec8cb607372341ad78a59255f04.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do the deer like the nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen them eat them... They're sort of like a black walnut in that the nut is enased in a bigger "rind" (dont know the actual name) about the size of a small apple. The actual nut shell is harder than hell. I think it would wreak havoc on their teeth. Plus, hickorys are usually in with white and red oak so they go for those. That "rind" or whatever it is, are no joke when they fall. I found this pic on that there "interwebs"
8287a678e46cdcb1284e5749f9c73d96.jpg

I've never seen them eat them... They're sort of like a black walnut in that the nut is enased in a bigger "rind" (dont know the actual name) about the size of a small apple. The actual nut shell is harder than hell. I think it would wreak havoc on their teeth. Plus, hickorys are usually in with white and red oak so they go for those. That "rind" or whatever it is, are no joke when they fall. I found this pic on that there "interwebs"

Ok, so I used the google machine and found that skull buster the nut is in is called a husk...who knew.

I have a few dozen mature shagbark in my yard. I watch deer on a daily basis. For years, after literally thousands of deer observations, I swore deer did not eat hickory nuts. I even watched them try unsuccessfully to crack the shell between their teeth. But last year I did watch a young buck succeed in breaking one open. But I doubt hickory nuts are barely more than the slightest bit a regular part of their diet. I would not plan a hunt around hickory as a food source.

As far as the bark goes...not all shagbark are created equal. Some mature trees are extremely shaggy to the point they are impossible to climb and set up quietly. Other mature trees are much less shaggy. Must be some different sub species.

Those are good to eat. Let them dry out a bit or roast them. They are sweet tasting. Much better than walnuts.

Back