• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone “No Sticking”?

Speedfreek48

Saw this on YouTube a month or so ago. I’ve been looking into & practicing One Sticking for next year, but this feels just as easy to me & was considering getting the 1 1/4” post from Dan O & putting a cam cleat on it. Any thoughts or good reasons not to? Hopefully it’ll let me attach my pics to this...B2E68792-5789-4194-9C2B-A29BB409E06E.jpegAC719E25-FA32-4B7F-948C-D61929157C96.jpeg

In case the pic isn’t self explanatory, I’m using the Predator platform with a tied in 2 step aider at the moment. I don’t think I need more than a 2 step. I can hang the platform above head height & get up on it easily with just the 2 steps & definitely don’t need more than that once on tree. If I replace the cam buckle with a cam cleat it would help reduce noise & make faster and not having to worry about strap getting twisted.

I've used a daisy chain girth hitched around the tree with a 5 step aider similar to @Weldabeast. Works great on trees that aren't super crooked. Some guys have had some concerns about the cam cleat holding up with the tension put on the cleat when camming over the platform but I guess there's only one way to find out!

I stumbled on this because I was looking to try my lone wolf hand climber as a climbing method/platform (again! Tried it a few years ago). This time I was gonna put a step or 2 on it to use when getting around limbs. I think I’m wanting to commit to SRT. Which is really nice if you have presets, but I want to find a good/light way to get into non preset trees. I’m also tired of each year swapping between 4 or 5 different ways to get to hunting height. I started saddle hunting in 2004 & STILL haven’t settled on 1 certain way to ascend/descend. Every time I decide to climb a different way I have to completely dump my pack out & make sure I have all that I need & get rid of what I don’t need. I’m sure most saddle hunters know what I mean!!

I've used a daisy chain girth hitched around the tree with a 5 step aider similar to @Weldabeast. Works 968C8E07-4112-4D76-8E19-8CF6731D029B.jpeggrea968C8E07-4112-4D76-8E19-8CF6731D029B.jpeg on trees that aren't super crooked. Some guys have had some concerns about the cam cleat holding up with the tension put on the cleat when camming over the platform but I guess there's only one way to find out!
I’ve been using 4 of these mini 1 step sticks I made this year. They don’t take up much room, but can still clank together. Pretty much does the same as the Wild Edge step, which I have, but sometimes get aggravated trying to get the rope just right. Always adjusting between too tight or not tight enough

Saw this on YouTube a month or so ago. I’ve been looking into & practicing One Sticking for next year, but this feels just as easy to me & was considering getting the 1 1/4” post from Dan O & putting a cam cleat on it. Any thoughts or good reasons not to? Hopefully it’ll let me attach my pics to this...View attachment 40885View attachment 40886
I've been using the same idea, but with a scout platform... Comes in at just over 2 lb... And to think last year at this time I was hauling around three full-size lone wolf sticks and a lone wolf assault hang-on at about 20lbs total...

I predict you will have a hard time getting over the platform. I got around the issue by using amsteel loop. If your aider is to far from the tree, it gets unstable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-160615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-160615_Gallery.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 97
Saw this on YouTube a month or so ago. I’ve been looking into & practicing One Sticking for next year, but this feels just as easy to me & was considering getting the 1 1/4” post from Dan O & putting a cam cleat on it. Any thoughts or good reasons not to? Hopefully it’ll let me attach my pics to this...View attachment 40885View attachment 40886
I've been using the same idea, but with a scout platform... Comes in at just over 2 lb... And to think last year at this time I was hauling around three full-size lone wolf sticks and a lone wolf assault hang-on at about 20lbs total...

PXL_20201208_180006346.jpg

Yes, I “no-stick” with a OOAL Solo Scout. I do miss the cam cleat from my mini-stick though.
. After the frustration of waiting for the solo scout that attaches to a climbing stick to come back into stock I made this one up and was contemplating putting on a cam cleat for one sticking... And I probably still will, as I attempt yet another way to climb a tree...
PXL_20201026_163752471.jpg

I predict you will have a hard time getting over the platform. I got around the issue by using amsteel loop. If your aider is to far from the tree, it gets unstable.
I’ve only made a couple moves at a time out back, but so far it hasn’t been bad. It’s easier on very small trees, but even on a bit bigger it hasn’t been bad. I haven’t tried it on a REAL BIG one yet tho. And I could end up deciding to go with OOAL scout Especially since I’ve never really been a fan of a platform. The ONLY way I ever use a platform is with additional steps to get around the tree. Whether it’s screw ins, on the platform strap or whatever. To me personally, my favorite advantage of saddle hunting is keeping the tree between me & the deer. I very seldom use a platform now, but I’d hate to sell it because it’s handy when I set up a tree for my kids

View attachment 40894
I like it, but think I’d have to get their straight version. I pretty much am in the “sitting” position all the time. I’m very high strung & if I try to just lean I find myself bouncing around. I make myself sit to stay close to the tree & not move around as much.

I think I would have a harder time getting over the platform the way you have shown. Can’t say for sure cause I’ve never tried it. I like it out on the edge because it’s easy to get your feet on the aider, unlike it is at times using aider with climbing sticks. I also have it tied towards the outside of the platform width which seems to make it a bit more stable.

I honestly forgot that they made that. I’ve seen so many of the top of stick versions. Like my platform idea, I like the way that keeps the aider away from the tree a little & makes it easier to get ur feet on the aider

View attachment 40894

I like it, but think I’d have to get their straight version. I pretty much am in the “sitting” position all the time. I’m very high strung & if I try to just lean I find myself bouncing around. I make myself sit to stay close to the tree & not move around as much.
I agree. I would like to see a flat version of the solo scout. I find that if I climb trees that have a diameter that is the same width or less than the scout is wide, I can hug the tree and rest my feet on the back edge of the scout... I also found that the last time I was out hunting when my feet were getting a little tired that if I take my knees and put them on their respective side of the tree and crisscross my legs underneath them that I can take all of my pressure off my feet alltogether and just sit in the saddle... Might be a new method...?

I agree. I would like to see a flat version of the solo scout. I find that if I climb trees that have a diameter that is the same width or less than the scout is wide, I can hug the tree and rest my feet on the back edge of the scout... I also found that the last time I was out hunting when my feet were getting a little tired that if I take my knees and put them on their respective side of the tree and crisscross my legs underneath them that I can take all of my pressure off my feet alltogether and just sit in the saddle... Might be a new method...?
That is an advantage to being a sitter, it doesn’t matter what ur feet are on, because the saddle is taking almost all your weight. But it also makes it more critical to have your saddle positioned just right because it’s taking all that weight

Back