• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone build a climbing/shooting pole in their yard?

Shot thru

Thinking of putting up a pole to practice shooting from my saddle. If you have one did you anchor in concrete or just bury it? How tall and how deep?

Haven't done it. But if I was going to, I would try to get a telephone pole. Bury at least 48". More if it's taller. Back fill with lime stone or pee gravel.

Yes I did two years ago. Around 18 ft tree. Buried it 4ft x 4ft and filled with cement. Stands tall. See pic above from petrichor Just this year bark started coming off so I peeled it off the other day and know just have a wood pole.

Yes I did two years ago. Around 18 ft tree. Buried it 4ft x 4ft and filled with cement. Stands tall. See pic above from petrichor Just this year bark started coming off so I peeled it off the other day and know just have a wood pole.
That looks awesome, thanks. Is your finished height 14'? I was thinking a 2'x2' hole 4' deep filled with concrete would do. Was your hole bigger?

That looks awesome, thanks. Is your finished height 14'? I was thinking a 2'x2' hole 4' deep filled with concrete would do. Was your hole bigger?
I believe it around 14 or so. Never really measured. I called one of my engineer buddies and he recommended size hole was 4x4x4 if I remember right. It was a booger to dig out but we managed it. I sure didn’t want the thing wiggling loose from the leaning side pressure. I have used it to test saddles, lock ons, and climbers. Works great for all. No jiggle.

I believe it around 14 or so. Never really measured. I called one of my engineer buddies and he recommended size hole was 4x4x4 if I remember right. It was a booger to dig out but we managed it. I sure didn’t want the thing wiggling loose from the leaning side pressure. I have used it to test saddles, lock ons, and climbers. Works great for all. No jiggle.
It was amazing. My first saddle hang.

I have a backhoe so the hole won't be a problem. For 2 yards of concrete I think I will have it delivered rather than mix myself.

Thanks for your insight.

Just a couple helpful tips for anyone who wants to put a utility pole in their yard.
Tip one: call the local electric power companies close to your area. Many times cars hit poles or poles rot off at ground level and need to be replaced. Discarding the poles can be costly so some sell them to the general public for about $1 to $2 per foot depending on their thickness. Also you should bury 1/3 the the total length of the pole in the ground. (Ie if you buy and plan to hang a 12’ pole, you need at least 4’ buried.
Tip 2: if you want to concrete the pole to help with strength and if you want the pole to be there permanently, wrap front the bottom to one foot above the ground level of the pole that you plan to put in the ground with shrink wrap, (if you are burying 4’ then wrap it from the bottom up to the 5’ mark) then get a pvc style wrap such as pool liner, shower liners or piling wrap and nail it with stainless steel roofing nails every 6” over the top of that shrink wrapped portion of pole. This will keep wood boring beetles, worms and bees out at soil level while also helping protect that pressure treated pole from rotting out where it touches the concrete.
these tips can allow you to get a pole for way cheaper than buying a new one and can also make sure that pole outlasts you when you put it in.

Back