• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone doing SRT with ropeman/carbiner instead of Hand Ascender?

kyler1945

SH Member
Considering doing this. I think I can eliminate the need for hand ascender and biner/ropeman for my tether, and use one for both. Can't see where it would mess me up, and they function the same way.

It would shave about 5 ounces.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Considering doing this. I think I can eliminate the need for hand ascender and biner/ropeman for my tether, and use one for both. Can't see where it would mess me up, and they function the same way.

It would shave about 5 ounces.

Thoughts?
Yes you can do it, Won't Be as efficient but it would work!

If you aren't trying to climb high quickly and want to keep your load lighter, that's the way.

I never tried a Tibloc. The teeth scared me.

I've read the teeth on the tiblock are really rough on rope, anyone have some first hand experience?

I did try a ropeman in this config once, ascending SRT a very short distance. You lose a little grip and have to use the rope. Another issue is if you're ascending RADS, and attaching a foot loop to the ascender, it gets complicated with where you attach the foot loop vs where you route the rope.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The teeth aren't the problem. It is designed for going up only. Try going down and you will inadvertently tear the sheath. Disengagement for descent is sketchy. It needs to be removed and a different device employed to descend. The teeth aren't much different than on my hand ascender. Doesn't matter....I like my hand grip on my Petzl Ascension. I'd use it if it weighed 5 lbs.

Back