• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone else not fond of aiders?

Jeffy

Started out this season with an attempt at one sticking, I like it in theory with less weight on my back for my hikes (quite often I’ll find myself a few miles back and now that I’ve moved its now in the mountains) so that is awesome not having to haul so much with me. Turns out, it’s really not for me. So I reverted back to my sticks with aiders, short muddys with 2 step amsteel aiders on the top 2 and 3 step ultimaider on the first stick. Now I’m not one to shy away from thick spots with limited tree options or just if I find THE SPOT, I’ll sit whatever tree is necessary. More and more I’m starting to realize in all of this that aiders are actually starting to become a hindrance to my style of hunting or choice of trees, instead of a helpful tool. If the tree gets too crooked the aider is naturally away from the trunk and it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain that safe toe to tree climb. So if I have to start seeking out straight trees to climb because of aiders, I’m not much better than finding that perfect limbless straight tree to utilize my climber from years ago! All this to get deeper go farther and then shoot myself in the foot….. no thanks.
I think I’m going to switch it up for an extra stick and only use an aider for the bottom. Then I can feel comfortable climbing the zigzags I find without so much worry and planning.

Started out this season with an attempt at one sticking, I like it in theory with less weight on my back for my hikes (quite often I’ll find myself a few miles back and now that I’ve moved its now in the mountains) so that is awesome not having to haul so much with me. Turns out, it’s really not for me. So I reverted back to my sticks with aiders, short muddys with 2 step amsteel aiders on the top 2 and 3 step ultimaider on the first stick. Now I’m not one to shy away from thick spots with limited tree options or just if I find THE SPOT, I’ll sit whatever tree is necessary. More and more I’m starting to realize in all of this that aiders are actually starting to become a hindrance to my style of hunting or choice of trees, instead of a helpful tool. If the tree gets too crooked the aider is naturally away from the trunk and it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain that safe toe to tree climb. So if I have to start seeking out straight trees to climb because of aiders, I’m not much better than finding that perfect limbless straight tree to utilize my climber from years ago! All this to get deeper go farther and then shoot myself in the foot….. no thanks.
I think I’m going to switch it up for an extra stick and only use an aider for the bottom. Then I can feel comfortable climbing the zigzags I find without so much worry and planning.
Looks scary consider this, I climb this way. My whole setup is under 10#. Very safe. Safety redundancy
Or

I haven't used sticks for a while.

When I did, I used a Carry As You Go aider that looped over the top of the stick and slide down to the top standoff which is also close to the strap. This placement makes the stick less likely to kick out than aiders attached to the bottom step relatively far from the strap.

I haven't used sticks for a while.

When I did, I used a Carry As You Go aider that looped over the top of the stick and slide down to the top standoff which is also close to the strap. This placement makes the stick less likely to kick out than aiders attached to the bottom step relatively far from the strap.
I’m more bothered by the aider kick out when your toe slips from the centerline of the tree or loses grip due to odd angles.

I think what you are saying is you are willing to sacrifice some (potential) height for a little extra weight (another stick) and skip out on the sketchy climbing. Guys like Dan Infalt and Jason Samkowiak smack a lot of deer and they usually don't go too high and hunt some gnarly trees.

The one thing with aiders is that you don't use them like a ladder on the way down. Instead, you put your foot in the loop and kick your leg left or right until your foot reaches the bottom of the loop then step down. That way, you get your foot in position before stepping down vs. stepping down and trying to find your footing.

I actually find it easier climbing down on the aiders than up somehow. And as for the height I shouldn’t be giving up too much since I’ll be able to more comfortably make a stretch to the next step since it’ll be a solid step, as well as the extra steps on the additional stick. Hopefully only short myself by about a foot or so.

Imo the problem is the material of the aider itself.... If it's really floppy it is constantly working against u. I've made a bunch of them outta a bunch of different material and they just keep getting progressively more heavy duty. My current alternating 4 step is made outta 2" webbing and a good portion of it is doubled up/stacked webbing and the new design I have in my head has 2" and sections of either 3" or 4".

I have been thinking about that as well and wondering if a stiffer aider, say a cable aider, would be somewhat more resistant to the natural vertical dangle and swing of the lighter softer materials. Prob still won’t be enough to change my mind on ditching them but I’ll still probably try a single step cable on the new setup when I switch just to exhaust all my ideas until the next idea.

I also tried one sticking and didn't care for it so went back to sticks. I have 3 20" LWCG doubles with 17" single aiders and am very happy with the setup. The single aiders don't get crazy out of control and easy to find on the way down (I repel down anyway). I get to 16-18' with this method and get plenty high for most of what I hunt.

I’ve had the same experience using aiders. Bolts or cranford screw ins are my favorite way to climb. Especially when the tree has some lean to it.

I 1 stick and carry carbon bolts/treehopper drill for leaning trees. I'm fast with 1 stick now, but with bolts I can hunt out of about anything an aider won't work in. all my gear still comes in way under 20lbs

I like a 3-step aider on my bottom step and one step cables on the remainder. I don't have to stretch at all with 5- 14 inch double steps to get to hunting height. I usually only climb once and hang a preset for srt thereafter.

I have a 2 step rope aider on my first stick and cable aiders on my other 3 sticks. I much prefer the cable aiders VS rope . Cable is stiff enough to stay in place and makes getting your foot in and secure easy. I would never run rope / webbing aiders on my other 3 sticks. For me they are a PIA. Climbing a tree is already potentially dangerous, I don't need to make it sketchy to gain a few extra feet. Also I am not looking to get 30 foot in a tree. If I was I would 2TC, SRT or one stick.

Back