• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone else's nose now super sensitive from scent free hunting soaps ?

Robert

Not trying to start any kind of scent control debate..... I use scent free detergent and shower soap and I found after a hunting season a few years ago that when I tried to go back to "normal" shower soap, laundry detergent and dryer sheets, they almost burn my nose. I used to wear cologne periodically, now I can not stand it.

I used the Atsko scent free enzyme detergent before I started hunting on my very smelly Jiu Jitsu gear.I found it to be the only thing that gets the funk out of the worst smelling gear. My nose acted up after I went 100% no added scents to anything for 4 months.

I realize its not the soap per se that made my nose sensitive, more the lack of strong odor for months.

I notice the same thing every year. Usually go 100% scent free soaps, detergent, deodorant, everything in Sept till late February and really notice how strong the scents are when I go back. Frankly the only reason I don't just go scent free year round is sometimes in the spring and summer I get a little sweaty at work in the morning and have to be around coworkers in the afternoon. Don't want to be "that guy" at work so I go back to scented stuff :D

I took the opportunity when we got a new wash machine to just switch full time to scent free detergent and softener. I can’t believe my wife went with it but I’m glad she did. Now I don’t have to worry about my undergarments being all flowery.

Since the wife and I have a 3 month old at home we’ve been using scent free detergent anyways and I’d like to just never go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use unscented castile soap, borax, and baking soda. If she wants a smell good load of laundry add some essential oil of ur choosing. Haven't bought detergent for a while. I also use unscented natural deodorant all the time. If u look at the ingredients of regular deodorant aluminum is high on the list. I get enough metal on me at work...I don't like adding more on purpose. The charcoal stuff works pretty good

About 2 years ago I got the wife to switch to unscented dryer sheets. Just this year we’ve been making the switch to scent free laundry soap for all the time. I’ve always been very sensitive to perfumes and especially flowery smells. Lavender sends me into an instant headache. Loving the switch.

Funny thing is that I use the earth scent wafers in my clothing and gear tubs between hunts. My wife loves the smell.

Our household has never had any of that perfumed garbage.
My wife is completely fine with it.
I can't understand why products like that exist.
I won't even walk down that aisle in the grocery store. Makes me wanna puke.

My wife hates that hunting season is also my truck and everything smells like dirt season.

Do you mean those dirt wafers? One of my buddies does... they smell great to me. I thought about putting one in my truck for air freshener out of season.

We use unscented castile soap, borax, and baking soda. If she wants a smell good load of laundry add some essential oil of ur choosing. Haven't bought detergent for a while. I also use unscented natural deodorant all the time. If u look at the ingredients of regular deodorant aluminum is high on the list. I get enough metal on me at work...I don't like adding more on purpose. The charcoal stuff works pretty good

My wife uses that unscented charcoal deodorant. I can’t get away with it. I wanted to, I just sweat too much. I have to use Certain Dri roll on anti perspirant (lots of aluminum) before bed. And then use D-code antiperspirant during the day, which is the strongest non scented stick I can find. Also high in aluminum.

Yes I use the wafers and then spray myself down with the fresh earth cover spray all day long while I am hunting. My hair and beard smell like it. Then of course jumping in the truck smells like it. As I get dressed in the field I spray down each layer and the doors if the truck are usually open for the light.

Back