• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone ever tried this?

hickstick

Setting up today I had an idea...I know, dangerous. LOL

Well, don't have a platform yet, so last weekend I just used my top steps on my leverage sticks to stand on. Today, I screwed in one step about 5 inches to either side of my top step and just slightly above.

I set my heel on the leverage step and the midfoot or ball on the screw in. It was pretty comfortable. I could switch around to just the screw ins or just the top steps. Seemed to work ok.
d6b339dde75548d47de73eb13dde9a3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve done it a couple times with my diy stick. I have some Hawk Helium’s on the way and when they get here I’ll try it with them. If it’s good enough I’ll stop using my diy Jim Stepp as a main ‘platform’ with my aluminum steps and just use the top of my stick and the aluminum steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use that setup a lot. I stand on the top step of my LW or Muddy sticks and use 1 or 2 Ameristeps on each side. Works great and is the lightest platform option there is. Unless of course you get lucky and find a tree with large branches at 25'. THAT is the perfect platform. I've only encountered that situation 2 or 3 times though.

I use that setup a lot. I stand on the top step of my LW or Muddy sticks and use 1 or 2 Ameristeps on each side. Works great and is the lightest platform option there is. Unless of course you get lucky and find a tree with large branches at 25'. THAT is the perfect platform. I've only encountered that situation 2 or 3 times though.
Yea @g2outdoors up here is all 2nd or 3rd growth forest. Where I hunt was an apple orchard & pig farm up until about 60 years ago. All the maples & oaks are bare of low branches until you get to the canopy 40 feet up. (Unfortunately the folks who bought the place 60 years ago ripped out over 150 apple trees to make way for cow pastures....you can still find a few apple trees here and there though)

Yea @g2outdoors up here is all 2nd or 3rd growth forest. Where I hunt was an apple orchard & pig farm up until about 60 years ago. All the maples & oaks are bare of low branches until you get to the canopy 40 feet up. (Unfortunately the folks who bought the place 60 years ago ripped out over 150 apple trees to make way for cow pastures....you can still find a few apple trees here and there though)

So I tried it again last night. Ran into one slight prob. The tree bracket of the stick would slide about 1/4 to 1/2" when loaded. And would rub the bark of the oak making a squeak. No diff than two branches rubbing together in the wind, but I prefer it more silent.

Gonna have to make that trip up to my buddies and grab those Stepp ladder steps.

I used a set up like that my entire first year of saddle hunting. Worked just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Back