• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone experienced with Outdoorsmans Atlas Trainer Frame System?

swd

I am planning my first elk hunt for this fall. It will also be my first western states hunt. I am planning to go to Idaho, which I understand to be very steep.

My part of the country is FLAT. I exercise nearly every day for an hour or so per day, but I still feel like I need to be doing more to prepared to get the most out of this hunt. I do not own a good frame pack and have been considering what to get. I have an Alps Outdoors frame pack that was pretty cheap, but is really uncomfortable when I put more than 30 or 40 pounds in it.

I found Outdoorsmans.com and particularly their Atlas trainer (https://outdoorsmans.com/products/weight-frame-system). Anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks in advance!

Here’s my take on it....I don’t really see the point of buying that trainer if you are already planning on buying a frame pack to begin with. I would buy the pack and use it for training with sandbags that way you can get accustomed to the feel of the exact pack you are going to use and learn how to strap weight to the pack so it’s the most comfortable. Before I did my high country mule deer hunt I used the exact pack that I took on the hunt and would load it down with 40-100lbs of weight and hike with that on my back 3-4 times a week. Another thing I did that REALLY helped was to drag a truck tire with some weight in it. I actually used a sit drag as a sling and would tie the tire to it and pull that around my yard every evening after hiking with weight on my back. It will KILL you but is about the best way to simulate hiking a mountain on flat terrain. I dropped over 30lbs doing this and was in great shape for my hunt and did very well on some of the steepest terrain I have ever seen. That’s what I did and it worked for me! Hope that helps a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're better off buying a weighted vest for that kind of price. I purchased a v-max weighted vest for way less than that and it is exceptional in quality. Have had the vest for 6 years and it is in great shape. More versatile than the atlas trainer

To add: If I go this route, I plan to buy one of their bags that attaches to this frame.

Thanks for the input so far!

I'm with flinginairos, if you know you are going to upgrade a pack, spend the money to buy a good pack and use it to train. My elk prep is done with the pack I am going to wear for the hunt to backpack in and haul meat when needed. Train with a 50# sandbag until a couple weeks out and then will do a couple of rounds with 95-100 to remind myself what the suck really feels like. If you are just doing a one off hunt, you can make about anything work but if you intend to make return trips, spend the money to buy a quality pack like a kifaru, Exo, stone glacier, etc. I run a seek outside. All of those packs will haul more than most men are cappable of hiking with in the mountains. Find one that fits you and lays out the way you like.

Focus your training on legs and core, knowing you are going to suck wind when you get there. Cant get around sucking wind but the better shape you are in the faster you will recover on the mountain and the better your body will feel when the days and miles start adding up.

Having hunted elk in Idaho in the past, your biggest enemy is not strength but wind. Thin air is hardest to deal with at elevations that you'll find elk. I would suggest that you work to build up your lungs. Distance running, jogging or cycling will help build your lung capacity and you'll really be able to tell the difference as you progress. Also, carry mole skin, tape or something to cover hot spots (BEFORE YOU GET BLISTERS!!). As soon as you feel a hot spot where you think you might get a blister (and it will happen), stop and put tape over it. Wait too long, it'll be too late.

Having hunted elk in Idaho in the past, your biggest enemy is not strength but wind. Thin air is hardest to deal with at elevations that you'll find elk. I would suggest that you work to build up your lungs. Distance running, jogging or cycling will help build your lung capacity and you'll really be able to tell the difference as you progress. Also, carry mole skin, tape or something to cover hot spots (BEFORE YOU GET BLISTERS!!). As soon as you feel a hot spot where you think you might get a blister (and it will happen), stop and put tape over it. Wait too long, it'll be too late.
My previous post may have been a little misleading because I was focused on the pack training aspect but I agree with @ricky racer on cardio training. My regular training includes a lot a of stairmonster, eliptical, treadmill on incline and rowing along with just running stairs. I dont ever just go for a flat run though. That works for lots of folks but I prefer to try to keep work to intervals and vary duration and intensity. Cardio work will definitely make a difference for you in the mountains but you will suck wind. Just listen to your body on the mountain and embrace the suck.

These guys nailed it. Get as good of a pack as you can afford. You have enough elements to fight, a pack is one that you can buy off!
Train with it with sandbags. Learning how to adjust your shoulder straps, waist belt, and load lifters make a huge difference in how weight carries.
Cardio will shorten your recover times when you have to stop and catch your breath. If you don’t have hills to train on, stairs or stadiums are a good strength and cardio workout.
Hiking poles help a lot as well. I also use them when I train with a weighted pack. Dragging a tire like @flinginairos mentioned seems like a great idea.
I need to get back on a routine. Got fat over the winter. Rain almost everyday has been giving me an excuse to keep delaying. Lol

I currently lift weights twice a week doing total body workouts, cycle about 50 miles per week in 2 one hour sessions, and run 2 to 3 times per week with my long run being a trail run of 5-8 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace or better. I do not think there is much more I am willing to do for cardio with the exception of weighted hikes.

I do like the tire flipping/drag, but I need a place nearby for that. I would shred my yard doing something like that and create unnecessary friction with the wife.

Taking my bows in for tune ups tomorrow and will start shooting 3 days a week until July when I go to daily sessions.

I know you all have mentioned a lot about getting "the" right pack and filling it with weights. Does that mean that there is something inherently bad about this frame or the quality of their bags?

Outdoorsmans has several bags that attach to this frame come time for the hunt. I would be using this exact frame for the hunt if I go this route. I am just considering spending $100 extra for the attachment that allows putting 90 pounds of weight on the frame and eliminates wear and tear on the bag that putting sand bags, water bottles, etc. create.

I don’t have any personal experience with their packs, but a quick search of what it would cost to be setup with what your describing would be close to the cost of a really great pack ...... I have an EXO that I love & would consider that type of pack a lifetime investment ( your probably not going to wear it out w/a a couple pack outs per year) my 2 cents, bang for your buck....

Reactions: swd
I currently lift weights twice a week doing total body workouts, cycle about 50 miles per week in 2 one hour sessions, and run 2 to 3 times per week with my long run being a trail run of 5-8 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace or better. I do not think there is much more I am willing to do for cardio with the exception of weighted hikes.

I do like the tire flipping/drag, but I need a place nearby for that. I would shred my yard doing something like that and create unnecessary friction with the wife.

Taking my bows in for tune ups tomorrow and will start shooting 3 days a week until July when I go to daily sessions.

I know you all have mentioned a lot about getting "the" right pack and filling it with weights. Does that mean that there is something inherently bad about this frame or the quality of their bags?

Outdoorsmans has several bags that attach to this frame come time for the hunt. I would be using this exact frame for the hunt if I go this route. I am just considering spending $100 extra for the attachment that allows putting 90 pounds of weight on the frame and eliminates wear and tear on the bag that putting sand bags, water bottles, etc. create.

Cant speak to the outdoorsman stuff as I havent been around it. I just dont think you will have to worry about wear and tear on any of the packs I mentioned from doing training hikes with a sand bag. I pretty much only put weight in my bag when I doing real heavy hikes close to a hunt and I wont do more than a couple of those. I just strap the weight to the pack a take off. If you want the ability to use the attachment for using plates, nothing wrong with that at all.

As for what you are doing training wise, sounds like you have a solid workout going. The one thing I would encourage you to consider adjusting is to drop back to one run a week and use the other 2 days for stairs or bleachers. The one other thing that will help is to hit a levee or highway overpass and do hill repeats sidehilling up and down. It will help make sure your boots are fitting properly and prep you for sidehilling in the mountains. Like was mentioned above, be prepared for hotspots. Leukotape and the KT tape for hotspots both work exceptionally well. Dont leave home without one or the other.

I have taken people out over the years and most of them/ us were not in the best shape. Everyone has room for improvement.
Most of them were reluctant to go for this reason.
I tell everyone this, go to the mountain and be yourself. Don't try to be John Rambo.
Go at your own pace and enjoy the mountain.

Clint Eastwood said, " a man's gotta know his own limitations ". Outlaw Josey Wales I think..

Like was mentioned above, be prepared for hotspots. Leukotape and the KT tape for hotspots both work exceptionally well. Dont leave home without one or the other.

This remark is going off topic, but another tip that can save you a lot of misery while hiking hillsides and mountain terrain is to use “Trail Toes” anti-friction foot creme everyday on the hunt. It does wonders to prevent hot spots and blisters - you can order it online (google it) and I think Amazon carries it too.

If you feel a hot spot, though, I agree that Leukotape is a great treatment to stave off an impending blister. I never seem to need it though ... as long as I use Trail Toes liberally on my feet before putting my boot socks on. The stuff is worth its weight in gold for prevention of foot misery.

This remark is going off topic, but another tip that can save you a lot of misery while hiking hillsides and mountain terrain is to use “Trail Toes” anti-friction foot creme everyday on the hunt. It does wonders to prevent hot spots and blisters - you can order it online (google it) and I think Amazon carries it too.

If you feel a hot spot, though, I agree that Leukotape is a great treatment to stave off an impending blister. I never seem to need it though ... as long as I use Trail Toes liberally on my feet before putting my boot socks on. The stuff is worth its weight in gold for prevention of foot misery.

Good advice! Also, trim your toe nails..... Sounds dumb but those who've been in the mountains before understand. ;)

Good advice! Also, trim your toe nails..... Sounds dumb but those who've been in the mountains before understand. ;)

I have lived through that from running. Go on a 6 or 7 mile trail run, get home pull off shoes, sock soaked in blood. Turns out it was a toenail! Never felt a thing, but my shoe was a pint heavy :)

This is what killed my buddy's chances at SFAS many moons ago. I felt bad for him. Something seemingly so minor..... not a bit on a ruck march or an expensive elk hunt!!!

Back