• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone have a Hawk Helium 20” stick failure?

bbarron

I saw one previous step failure that snapped causing a fall, and I think a strap slipping out of the buckle. Anyone else have any failures? Wanting piece of mind to get through this season with these sticks. Will be one sticking next year, but need to use these sticks to get through this season. I have a few steps bent in when I first attempted to climb and was angled too far from the tree, thus pressuring in on the steps causing them to slightly bend. Other than that and the suction cups sticking together, no other issues. It seems like there have been many sets sold, with minimal actual injuries or falls.

Yes.
My advice: don’t one stick with them. Get a stick designed for one sticking. I started with heliums and modded the heck outta them and eventually tried one sticking with them. I cracked one and had one catastrophically fail. The one that cracked the body of the stick where the foot pegs attaches cracked at the hole and there was a visible indentation in the frame from the stress of the peg. The one that failed the foot peg separated from the frame and slammed me face first into the tree but only after I spun around the tree like some kinda drunken top. In both cases the frame cracked both at the hole and in case where the foot pegs separated the hole as well as the thin metal portion the foot peg attaches too. Now I’m about 260lbs loaded, maybe more and obviously these sticks are not designed for such acrobatics. It’s my belief the frame cracked due to the twisting force and sideways loading placed on the stick from one sticking. I don’t think the stick itself is bad if used correctly but obviously if you use a product in a manner in which it was never intended well your results may vary. Heliums when used as intended are great, I used 4 for many years, 3 full length with one shorty and then switched to 3 with aiders.
My advice is just use them as intended and pick up a solid stick specifically for one sticking after the season ends.

Back