• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone just tie off tether?

Jbiehn

I find I never adjust my tether once setup. Why not just tie a figure eight on a bight or alpine butterfly and clip into that. Hell even a backed up clove or muntner hitch could work.

I’m sure this has been explored. Enlighten me. Thanks!

When I use the kestrel I hardly ever adjust my tether hitch once I’m set. I’ve used a few fixed options. It really could be done away with in certain scenarios, and one less thing to go wrong or fiddle with.

Try it out!

I find I never adjust my tether once setup. Why not just tie a figure eight on a bight or alpine butterfly and clip into that. Hell even a backed up clove or muntner hitch could work.

I reall like this option, but have fund myself in a couple situations with branches or y's that I just needed 6 more inches to get full shooting ability. I've left a friction knot on because of this.

Give it a try. I think it would work most of the time and then that one time it doesn’t it will be so annoying.

Carry some cord with you while you’re figuring things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to adjust it any time in the tree. For example I sat one tree last weekend where I didn’t have a clear shot to my left unless I lowered down a foot or two, then I had a shot to the field off to my left. I also like to lower myself down onto the top stick when climbing down sometimes. Before I put my lineman’s belt back on. The ropeman sure does come in handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems it would work good if you climbed trees real close in size every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I like that! Maybe clip the main anchor so it’s full strength and use a fifi hook to change positions quickly
If you use a daisy chain make sure to clip only one loop per carabiner. There are advisories about clipping adjacent loops with the same carabiner being unsafe since ripping one set of threads would leave you untethered.

I've pondered just using a marlinespike hitch.
73ec9fd41af0c774d76ce078893beeb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Would you marlinspike hitch with the carabiner as the stick?

I don't think I would feel comfortable with only a slipknot holding me in the tree with a marlinspike.

I like adjustability. I will make my initial adjustments when I first set up my saddle. Periodically throughout my sit I'll tweak an adjustment here or an adjustment there. Maybe just 1/2" or so can relieve pressure on one spot to make it more comfortable. There's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

I like adjustability. I will make my initial adjustments when I first set up my saddle. Periodically throughout my sit I'll tweak an adjustment here or an adjustment there. Maybe just 1/2" or so can relieve pressure on one spot to make it more comfortable. There's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.
Yeah - as long as you tie safe knots have at it. I'm an adjuster as well...also I find it much quicker/easier to position a prusik than rig up a knot exactly where I want it.

Back