• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone load a follow up muzzleloader shot from saddle??!

philsanchez76

SH Member
I am about to try to practice this tomorrow as I just sited in today. Have no clue how it’s gonna go. Obviously my goal will be to load one before I climb up and of course make the first shot count. But there still remains the possibility I will need a second shot. Be it for a follow up on a bad shot or maybe for a second deer. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it. Thx!

No problem here. Rest the butt of the muzzleloader on top of your boot and keep your possibles bag within easy reach and you’ll be good to go.

I can see how a platform would help out a lot here giving you something a little larger and more solid to put the butt on while jamming the new load down. I have a ROS platform and was worried I wouldn’t have enough leverage plus enough flat and sturdy surface area to rest the rifle butt and not have it slip off while loading. I’m a visual learner and am just having trouble picturing the whole process. Appreciate the replies y’all.

I just rest the butt against the top of my foot ( or wedged in against the tree & my instep) then seat the slug, then it only takes 2-3 tamps

No problem here either. Buddy of mine used three shots Saturday on two deer. As far as making the first shot count a quality bullet helps. I’ve lost a couple deer to powerbelt hollow points and the guy I was hunting with Saturday morning shot a button buck in the shoulder. It hit the dirt but tried to get up and leave several times. After about five minutes it was still just sitting there looking around so he shot it again. About ten minutes later he shot a 2.5 year old eight point behind the shoulder. The second deer he shot ran about 75 yards with very little blood trail because of no exit wound. The button buck the first shot hit shoulder and exploded. Two inches of penetration and about a six inch hole as an entry wound. The second shot hit a rib on the way in and failed to exit after hitting a rib on the way out. That’s on maybe a 65 lb deer. The recovered bullets were just the jacket. This was a big hunt with lots of similar experience with power belts and other light for caliber bullets. Long story short make the first shot count and use a bullet that will give the desired performance when it arrives.

Gotcha. Appreciate the replies. I’m using Thompson Center xtp hollow points. Never shot one with those yet so hopefully they’re good! Thx y’all.

Back