• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone run a Ghille Suit or Leafy top?

I have a leafy suit I wear once some of the leaves start to fall. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but in early season with lots of green foliage around, it is easy to melt into the background with normal camo.

When the trees start to look bare, I use the leafy suit to help break up my outline. I believe that it helps. I have had deer look right at me and not bust me.

I killed my 2nd buck last year with an Arcturus ghillie suit, as well as my turkey this spring. Looks really good but it does have a chemical smell to it that seems to be impossible to get out. Not overpowering when wearing it but could make your hunting clothes have a stronger odor.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

ASAT is the brand
Got it, thanks! I’ve got some first lite stuff in asat, wasn’t sure

My favorite one is an old Cabelas one I have. I have the green Arcturus good for early season and turkey. The arcturus fall one has too much white in it I think. There is a dark forest one I don't have. The Cabelas one I have has better dull colors. Great for early season when I just want to wear sport shorts and a t shirt in GA heat.

Found a ASAT 3D leafy suit for a good price from Eders archery, heard nothing but great things.
I plan on throwing it in the pack and putting it on before I get into the tree.

I don't think they make this exact suit now, but there is one on the BushRag site that is almost identical, just without the left bow arm cutout. This is the top from my Marc Anthony bow ghillie and it is magic on the ground and overkill in the tree. The typical jute string ghillies are ok, but not anywhere near as good as this in the field. This also does a better job than leafy die cut options.
19ff26d8f482f8863275e9209248cad5.jpg

Last edited:
I use a leafy top called Bug Tamer made by Shannon Outdoors. I ve used the jackets since the 80s. The leafy version came out about 20 years ago and I still have the same jacket. It's an awesome jacket that serve 2 purposes, the leafy camo breaks up your outline great, but the main purpose is to keep you from being eaten alive by mosquitoes, no see ums, etc. This jacket works great so no need for bug sprays or thermo cells.

I don't think they make this exact suit now, but there is one on the BushRag site that is almost identical, just without the left bow arm cutout. This is the top from my Marc Anthony bow ghillie and it is magic on the ground and overkill in the tree. The typical jute string ghillies are ok, but not anywhere near as good as this in the field. This also does a better job than leafy die cut options.
I have the same Marc Anthony suit. It is on the warm side.

I think THP recommended this one and I know a ton of Beast Forum guys like it too

I wore a leaf suit for years. Always felt absolutely hidden when deer were in tight even when they were looking right at me. I could even move around a bit without deer bolting. Since I went to a saddle and started walking further I’ve opted for clothing better suited to that but given the right situation I wouldn’t hesitate to put the old suit back on.

I use a leafy top called Bug Tamer made by Shannon Outdoors. I ve used the jackets since the 80s. The leafy version came out about 20 years ago and I still have the same jacket. It's an awesome jacket that serve 2 purposes, the leafy camo breaks up your outline great, but the main purpose is to keep you from being eaten alive by mosquitoes, no see ums, etc. This jacket works great so no need for bug sprays or thermo cells.
I have this exact same suit and I have had good success with it and works great for the bugs!!!!

Back