• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use their saddle to sit in at home?

Robert

I've been looking into a standing desk for my home office, as my back tends to ache when sitting in a chair all day. As I was looking through all the standing desk options, and the leaning type "chairs" or stools that are used along with the standing desk, I started thinking that a saddle suspended from the ceiling would be a better way to stand/lean or sit while working at my desk over these chairs and stools made for said purpose. I do no think it would be difficult to install something safe. Before I go to that hassle, I wanted to ask if anyone has tried anything like this?

I work as a Creative Manager for Steelcase, which is the world's #1 manufacturer of office furniture. My job is basically to convince Fortune 500 companies to buy our stuff. What you're thinking might be awesome for certain types of things, but your discomfort is probably not from your chair, or your desk, it's from everything. Just like getting settled in that perfect saddle position, you gotta have arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes, shoulders, everything in just the right relaxed position, all at the same time, to sit at a desk comfortably for hours. Try and crane your neck around your tether to see the monitor, or reach your arms around your bridge to type and you'll just create new problems. My professional opinion: If you do a lot of calls & meetings set up an area away from your desk to hang out. Hook in and join a Zoom call or 2 and enjoy the change of posture and the movement. You'll get the blood flowing again and then, when you need to sit down and focus you might feel a little more energized without the discomfort. Good luck, and let us know if you come up with something!

I work as a Creative Manager for Steelcase, which is the world's #1 manufacturer of office furniture. My job is basically to convince Fortune 500 companies to buy our stuff. What you're thinking might be awesome for certain types of things, but your discomfort is probably not from your chair, or your desk, it's from everything. Just like getting settled in that perfect saddle position, you gotta have arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes, shoulders, everything in just the right relaxed position, all at the same time, to sit at a desk comfortably for hours. Try and crane your neck around your tether to see the monitor, or reach your arms around your bridge to type and you'll just create new problems. My professional opinion: If you do a lot of calls & meetings set up an area away from your desk to hang out. Hook in and join a Zoom call or 2 and enjoy the change of posture and the movement. You'll get the blood flowing again and then, when you need to sit down and focus you might feel a little more energized without the discomfort. Good luck, and let us know if you come up with something!
Any advice for chairs that you would recommend

Buying a chair online is tough – I'd recommend getting something that has the maximum number of adjustment points you can find – for example, arm pads that not just move up and down but also move side to side and front to back. You want the back to have a lock on it so you're not reclined like you're riding around in an El Camino. Another thing I like is a seat that's not just one material. Having it a little softer on the leading edge keeps pressure off your leg behind your knee. Mesh vs. fabric on the back is kind of a personal preference. You're trying to get dialed in like the attached image below. I love this idea of a saddle hangout for conference calls though – I might give it a try too. I'm thinking you'd lag an eyelet into a wall stud, right? They say moving around every 30 minutes or so is optimal, but even an hour a day spent standing relieves a lot of issues.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.53.37 AM.png

131north, thank you for the info. Awesome! Glad I posted my question here. Do you have any opinions on kneeling chairs or the "stools" made for standing desks? The stools are more for leaning than sitting, which is what got me thinking about saddles in the first place.

I've been looking into a standing desk for my home office, as my back tends to ache when sitting in a chair all day. As I was looking through all the standing desk options, and the leaning type "chairs" or stools that are used along with the standing desk, I started thinking that a saddle suspended from the ceiling would be a better way to stand/lean or sit while working at my desk over these chairs and stools made for said purpose. I do no think it would be difficult to install something safe. Before I go to that hassle, I wanted to ask if anyone has tried anything like this?
I’m sure the neighbors have (and i won’t take it further than that haha )

FYI, check out your near by University. The ones by me have a disposition warehouse. They sell off the old or replaced office furniture. Not really related to the saddle. But good office Charis are more than saddles. You can find some good ones every now and then for a few bucks.

Back