• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

anyone used 7075 aluminum tube for sticks? source?

raisins

SH Member
I'm thinking you could buy Dan0's ultralight brackets and steps and then use 7075 1/16" wall thickness tube and make a really light stick that might be nearly as strong as the 1/8" 6061.

Anyone try it? Any reason why it is a bad idea? If I did it, I'd slide additional support inside it at the bolts.

Anyone have a source so I can see the prices on it?

I made sticks with dano's parts and used 1/16" wall thickness. Worked for me on regular steps, but I added a platform on one and it started bending. Went to 1/8" wall for the platform stick

Found this.

And the downloadable pdf seems to indicate they make 7075 square tubing (even in 1" with 1/16" wall). I'm sure minimum order is quite a bit more than 10 feet.

Please let me know if you call and ask. It is not much lighter than 1/8 inch wall though.

Back