• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone using mammut smart 2.0 with 8mm rope?

I used it with my 8mm oplux to rappel and yes it does work but you must realize it is out of specification by 1mm and you must use the HMS style carabiner with it (which you need to use with this device regardless of the style rope). On all my rappels I also (that means in addition to) use a backup loop of sterling hollowblock wrapped four times around my oplux rappel line and to a biner on my lineman's loop for your brake hand. If you brake with your right hand as I do, put it on your right lineman's loop, just the opposite if you brake with your left hand. BUT IT IS OUT OF SPEC FOR THAT DEVICE SO DONT DO IT. The only issue I noticed was that it would continue a bit before it stopped under my weight. I'm around 185. Not sure how it would have reacted with a wet rappel line or under other adverse conditions. I now use Canyon C-IV which is 9mm and I just picked up forty feet of 9mm DS from @Brocky to use as well. I am not using my Oplux with the Mammutt 2.0 anymore.

Last edited:
By the way, a Madrock Safeguard with oplux is also out of specification.

I just ordered a smart a few days ago. I have 9.5mm rope so im good. Was just wondering as i was thinking of ordering oplux or rescu tech

Back