• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone wear a Stormy Kromer wool rancher cap

gameflogger

SH Member
Does anyone have a stormy kromer wool rancher cap? I’m thinking about buying one but don’t know if it’s worth the money.

Following. Almost purchased one. Someone I worked Son got one a while ago. I remember they liked it over all. But was not sure if it was in a hunting context of just as a cold weather hat.

Does anyone have a stormy kromer wool rancher cap? I’m thinking about buying one but don’t know if it’s worth the money.

Yes, I have one. It is amazing. It's the warmest hat I've ever worn. I don't use it until at least 32 F. Even then, walking it can get hot.

2 tips. What it is made out of varies by the color pattern. If you want all wool, then you have to find those colors, etc. Mine is camo and I think a blend. Also, I think they give their measurements on this hat not taking into account the insulation on the inside choking the hat down. I measured my head per instructions and ordered that Rancher. It was so tight there was no way. I sent it back twice I think and ended up with 2 sizes above what they recommend. So, be sure where you order it from has a good return policy. I wish it had a webbing adjuster in the back, but then it wouldn't look as cool.

Oh, other downside is it looks huge and unless you have a Brock Lesnar neck you are gonna look like a toadstool from Mario Bros walking around the woods!

Oh, one more downside. It is dry clean only, and I think they mean it. I have considered buying a backup due to that. If it were colder here and I wore it for weeks on end, I'd probably already have a second one.

Last edited:
Yes, I have one. It is amazing. It's the warmest hat I've ever worn. I don't use it until at least 32 F. Even then, walking it can get hot.

2 tips. What it is made out of varies by the color pattern. If you want all wool, then you have to find those colors, etc. Mine is camo and I think a blend. Also, I think they give their measurements on this hat not taking into account the insulation on the inside choking the hat down. I measured my head per instructions and ordered that Rancher. It was so tight there was no way. I sent it back twice I think and ended up with 2 sizes above what they recommend. So, be sure where you order it from has a good return policy. I wish it had a webbing adjuster in the back, but then it wouldn't look as cool.

Oh, other downside is it looks huge and unless you have a Brock Lesnar neck you are gonna look like a toadstool from Mario Bros walking around the woods!

Oh, one more downside. It is dry clean only, and I think they mean it. I have considered buying a backup due to that. If it were colder here and I wore it for weeks on end, I'd probably already have a second one.

PS....I know OP knows this, but for others reading....the Rancher is not the usual Stormy Kromer. It is the Stormy on steroids (bigger ear flaps and batted insulation under the wool).
I am looking at getting one for hunting, I had an old due north beanie with bill that I lost. I wish I could find another source for a new one.

Have worn one for years, have 2 models
One is the Original for moderately cold weather .
The other is the Rancher, an insulted version that is for extreme (ice fishing, open tractor snow plowing) weather.
Both are well made and will keep you very warm.

I don’t have that style, but I really like a beanie with a bill or something similar that can also cover my ears. It seems to never fail that when I don’t have one, I’m wishing Ami had a brim styled hat of some kind to help shield the sun from my eyes.

I have a regular and a rancher. Use the rancher for hunting, ice fishing & sedentary winter activities. I cannot wear it into a store as it's way too warm.

Only thing I dislike is if facing the wind, it gets to my ears. The flaps are not tight enough to block wind like a stocking cap would. Wear a very thin hat under solves it, so size up.

Ice fishing is not a big deal, I can just turn around. Can't do that hunting.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I've been using the same Carhartt beanie with a bill since before Carhartt was cool (got it in 2007 I think while I was working on building my parents house). Works great but I don't think it's made any more. I do struggle with wanting the ears to be covered for warmth but also wanting them uncovered so I can hear.

I have one too but remember the flaps tied up are not meant to fold down over your ears. They are simply meant to keep the hat tight to your noggin. I like mine because it’s much warmer than a regular bill cap and fits nicely under a knit ski type hat.

I've got three SKs, one of which is a blaze orange rancher I only wear during rifle season. It's a good, warm hat, and it keeps the sun out of my eyes. I carry a blaze orange 'mad bomber' hat I put on if it's too cold for the Stormy. The other two are my go-to, warm winter hats.

The Filson mackinaw hat > stormy kromer hat

That said the sk is still a nice hat although my wife doesn’t let me wear either hat unless hunting bc I look like Elmer Fudd she says haha

I've been using the same Carhartt beanie with a bill since before Carhartt was cool (got it in 2007 I think while I was working on building my parents house). Works great but I don't think it's made any more. I do struggle with wanting the ears to be covered for warmth but also wanting them uncovered so I can hear.
Same here, I love mine

Back