• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

API Hunt'n Stand offs On Lone Wolf Sticks

csp13

Maybe no one has tried this yet, but I thought it was worth a shot of asking. Anyone try putting Huntin Stick steps on their lone wolfs? I just threw them on my lone wolfs and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to keep my stick standoffs from spinning. I am attaching a couple pictures showing how they will spin. Typically with the non modified lone wolfs there is a hex bolt above the standoff keeping them from spinning. But now the API steps cover the original hole in the tubing. I can obviously keep tightening down the nut and bolt after every hunt, as they are getting loose from the standoff spinning. But I would love to hear some ideas on how I can keep the bracket still. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Sorry my terminology is off. They are lone wolf sticks and standoffs, but I threw on API steps. I have edited my original post to use the right terms now.

The standoff is purposely designed to spin. I dont think you can stop that without doing some radical mods.

Your probably have the same issue that I had with my LW sticks. My issue due to old and warnout nylon washers and lock nuts. Replace all the nylon washers and the lock nutz with new ones (less then $10 from most hardware stores). This will allow the standoff to spin freely without grabbing and twisting the mounting hardware lose. Don't overtighten either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Okay that is probably where im going wrong. I tried to tighten the lock nuts down as much as possible. Will have to swing by the hardware store before the weekend. Thanks!

I have lw standoffs on my API's, they rotate and it has never been an issue for me.

I believe Stevey220 is on to something. I must have the nut over tightened and thats causing it to grab the standoff when it spins. Thanks everyone for the input and hope you all can put something on the ground this weekend.

I think you still need to replace your nylon washers and lock nuts. The reason I say don't overtighten is so you don't damage the nylon ring inside the lock nut.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Makes sense. I will go ahead and pick some up tonight. Pretty cheap fix compared to the alternative...having the stick malfunction while climbing. Thanks again Stevey

Yes, they are supposed to. My issue is that the rotation of the standoff was causing the lock nut to loosen. I must have over tightened the nut (dumb mistake by yours truly). Hopefully a simple fix.

Yes, they are supposed to. My issue is that the rotation of the standoff was causing the lock nut to loosen. I must have over tightened the nut (dumb mistake by yours truly). Hopefully a simple fix.

Got it, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to prevent them from turning at all.

put some washers under the nut and bolt head so the bolt can turn without grabbing on one end and loosening up

Back