• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

API huntn stick

beej32

anybody using these or attempted to modify them at all?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/api-outdoors-huntn-sticks-climbing-system
I have a set and am considering trying my hand at some mods.

The run and gun line of thinking is new to me, but a few short ventures quickly revealed why the 32” length of these is a problem for that.

But to me it seems like it’d be trivial to cut off 10”, drill a new hole for the bottom step, and use the existing hardware to wind up with stackable sticks at around 2.5lbs each,19” between steps. They wouldn’t be super light, but it seems otherwise not too different from bowhunter15’s custom sticks.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated before this newb potentially hacks up a decent set of sticks

anybody using these or attempted to modify them at all?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/api-outdoors-huntn-sticks-climbing-system
I have a set and am considering trying my hand at some mods.

The run and gun line of thinking is new to me, but a few short ventures quickly revealed why the 32” length of these is a problem for that.

But to me it seems like it’d be trivial to cut off 10”, drill a new hole for the bottom step, and use the existing hardware to wind up with stackable sticks at around 2.5lbs each,19” between steps. They wouldn’t be super light, but it seems otherwise not too different from bowhunter15’s custom sticks.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated before this newb potentially hacks up a decent set of sticks
If you already have them I say go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They would be SUPER light on a 1” x1”x1/16 wall tube. There isn’t much there as far as the steps are concerned. I’m not sure if the standoff’s as I’ve never seen any. Post up some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This became a Friday night project and was pretty simple- just some measuring, a single cut and one new hole drilled in each stick. Sticks are now 22” and ~2lbs 3oz each, excluding rope/strap, with 19” steps. Wound up dropping a little over 13oz per stick. Could be much lighter with thinner aluminum if that’s what you’re going for.

I’ll post some pics later this weekend, but I’m pretty pleased with the results. Now need to decide on an approach for an aider (attached or movable?) and figure out what to do with the steps I removed- seems there’s a platform option there somehow...

This became a Friday night project and was pretty simple- just some measuring, a single cut and one new hole drilled in each stick. Sticks are now 22” and ~2lbs 3oz each, excluding rope/strap, with 19” steps. Wound up dropping a little over 13oz per stick. Could be much lighter with thinner aluminum if that’s what you’re going for.

I’ll post some pics later this weekend, but I’m pretty pleased with the results. Now need to decide on an approach for an aider (attached or movable?) and figure out what to do with the steps I removed- seems there’s a platform option there somehow...
Yes. Post up some pics! That sounds like an easy enough mod and you don't hear much about API sticks. Would like to see better pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I let’s see some pictures. Interesting stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are some shots of the sticks before mods, though I had replaced the straps/buckles with rope

Attachments

• 3BC5414A-2F26-4770-87C3-4817C7A20FBB.jpeg
    3BC5414A-2F26-4770-87C3-4817C7A20FBB.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 4145CB90-AFFD-4253-AA2A-3B815C3B5B4E.jpeg
    4145CB90-AFFD-4253-AA2A-3B815C3B5B4E.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 530
  • 41665099-B350-49FD-A39E-AC59CA0695D4.jpeg
    41665099-B350-49FD-A39E-AC59CA0695D4.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 517
  • EE215B55-A355-4F03-9094-DB6D6F0B2DEA.jpeg
    EE215B55-A355-4F03-9094-DB6D6F0B2DEA.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 80A1705C-4D8F-4B94-995D-7D28826EDB63.jpeg
    80A1705C-4D8F-4B94-995D-7D28826EDB63.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 502
Here are my mods. The one concern is whether the low button placement will affect the hold on the tree. Any idea?

Attachments

• C66FCD0C-C5CA-4E2C-AC2A-6C1962AB1581.jpeg
    C66FCD0C-C5CA-4E2C-AC2A-6C1962AB1581.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 27B74FA8-DBFC-4616-8231-BB3EEEED0AAC.jpeg
    27B74FA8-DBFC-4616-8231-BB3EEEED0AAC.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 445
Here are my mods. The one concern is whether the low button placement will affect the hold on the tree. Any idea?
I would think ideal placement would be a few inches higher than where it is. Try it out if it doesn't give you any problems there's no sense in moving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very nice. Do you know what they weigh now that they are shortened?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Do u know what a single stand off weighs?

Do u know what a single stand off weighs?

I didn't weigh just the standoff, but did weigh:
single step + standoff + bolt = 10.2oz
single step + bolt = 6.1oz

So, that'd mean right around 4oz just for the standoff, but I can confirm that this evening.

Memory says. 160 g for muddy
85 g. Lone wolf stand offs

Times 2 for each stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I finally found an old post of urs and those numbers are right

LW 89g each

Hawk 108g each

Muddy 163g each

Could just leave button in original hole & spin steps around so face opposite direction

Could just leave button in original hole & spin steps around so face opposite direction

It's tough to see in the picture, but the button actually is already slightly closer to the top standoff than to the bottom one, by about an inch. I still haven't tested out whether it's even necessary to move the button, but should be easy to do. Just need a slightly bigger drill bit for a hole on the back of each stick that the nose of the button fits into when they're stacked.

Back