• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

API stick weight?

kodiak3842

Have a real world weight on
unmodified sticks as they come from the factory? Just the stick weight is Fine since I will be doing the rope mod.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I weighed a set of 3 yesterday fully assembled with no straps and got 9.8 lbs.

That would make 1 stick 3.26 lbs which is roughly 3 lbs 4 oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered two sets from Cabelas last week after reading a ton of reviews about all the different climbing sticks that are available.
These are the first sticks I have owned but I'm pleased with how they are made.
Im new to this site. Can someone send the link for the rope mod?

Yes. Thanks!
Great site but having issue locating information. I plan to spend more time reading the members responses.
There is a ton of useful information on saddlehunter.com!

I really like these sticks. I’ve done some mods to mine though. I just like how simple they are. I cut mine 4 inches, removed the middle step, made my own button and use the rope mod. With all of the sticks together with 1/4 Amsteel attached, they’re just over 8lbs. Not too bad for 3 sticks. I carry one removable aider and I have a 4th stick in the works since I have some spare steps laying around....

4469210ad684dadf2d2cdf8fbcef4340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
I have several set if sticks I have cut down, but wanted a set of full length. Cant be the price on the API, so I thought I would start there. Might drill them out to reduce a bit of weight, but leave them 32"

For the 79.99 I have seen them marked at I should get another set. Once you modify them they are the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys.
I have several set if sticks I have cut down, but wanted a set of full length. Cant be the price on the API, so I thought I would start there. Might drill them out to reduce a bit of weight, but leave them 32"

Eliminating the center step is why I cut mine down. I’m still able to reach 20’ to the bottom of my platform.

For the 79.99 I have seen them marked at I should get another set. Once you modify them they are the best bang for the buck.

I just ordered 2 more sets. I cut down and drilled a set this past weekend and I think I’m gonna have to give them to my buddy. He likes em so much he’s about to ditch his LWs.

I just ordered 2 more sets. I cut down and drilled a set this past weekend and I think I’m gonna have to give them to my buddy. He likes em so much he’s about to ditch his LWs.

Could you reply with more information about how you drilled holes? What size drill bit? Looks like you finished with a counter sink drill bit.

Yes. It’s a 1/4 bushing. I believe it’s 5/8 long. 1/4 fender washer and a 1/4-20 bolt and nut.

Could you reply with more information about how you drilled holes? What size drill bit? Looks like you finished with a counter sink drill bit.

Yeah I used a punch and tiny bit for a pilot hole. Then finished off with 1/2” bit. I got the countersink yesterday planning to add that finishing touch. But I tested on a scrap piece and it’s coming out pretty rough so I gotta work out the kinks before I do it to the sticks.

I basically followed instructions on the poor mans beast sticks with pictorial discussion that’s also on this forum.

Back