• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Apples, apples everywhere

MNFarmHunter

This year was a great year for growing apples. Cool, wet spring meant most trees came to pollen at the same time followed by a wet and warm summer meant healthy and plentiful apples.

Dad’s bringing my share over tomorrow but already have plans for 24 1/2pint apple butter, honey crisp apple chips and applesause with the leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must not be in western Pa… we had a late frost. I got two edible apples this year out of my orchard. My crab apples I keep around and trimmed for the deer, only the late crap apples produces, all my early ones frosted off. It hasn’t happened in a while but we had a late frost that took the all out here. No apple hooch this winter…

I'm in West Michigan and although frost wasn't a problem we got hot pretty fast, like 80 opening weekend of turkey ( april 23/24 i think). I'll have to ask about our crop, peaches are/were readily available though

So many apples on my trees is SW MI the limbs are breaking off. Seem to be less buggy than any year I can remember too. Must have just been a perfect storm for growing conditions.

After late frosts ruined any chances of apples the last two years, I’ve got a pretty healthy crop on my apples and pears trees this year. Planning on getting together with the extended family and making cider this fall.

Round 1 is done.
10# of apple chips on the dehydrator
16# set aside for apple butter tomorrow morning
Eyeball measurement is I still have another 50#+ to get through

Also have (2) rack of spare ribs sitting in the fridge, prepped and dry rubbed, going on the smoker tomorrow. Also have 10# of venison going on the smoker monday for summer sausage.

Round 1 is done.
10# of apple chips on the dehydrator
16# set aside for apple butter tomorrow morning
Eyeball measurement is I still have another 50#+ to get through

Also have (2) rack of spare ribs sitting in the fridge, prepped and dry rubbed, going on the smoker tomorrow. Also have 10# of venison going on the smoker monday for summer sausage.

You might be my hero!!

You might be my hero!!
As I was telling my dad today, this is god-awful miserable work with only big game processing being worse. However...having the skills and abilities to do this puts me light years ahead of most people in this country and that is what makes all this worth it. That and tasty food that cheaper than store bought.

Chips are still in the dehydrator and will probably go 18 hours until completely done. Been up since 0700 and took about 90 minutes to get 12# of apple butter in the crock pot to include clean-up. Ribs will go on at noon but still need to get to the butcher for pig fat for the summer sausage.

I need to go back to work. These weekend hobbies are too much work.

An entire tote of apples was either mushy, had worms or both so they got put out for deer candy.

Given that, I currently have 14 pints of apple butter and 12 pints of apple chips. Also have 8# of venison summer sausage in the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to go pick some before these gals and young guy get them all.

Attachments

• 15DDEDD5-7534-4EC4-93BE-7A6A4F1277F9.png
    15DDEDD5-7534-4EC4-93BE-7A6A4F1277F9.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
I can't believe the apples this year. We have several places to hunt with apples and the deer are there all the time. I saw a few trees this weekend that didn't have any visible leaves because of the amount of apples.

I may or may not have blunted a few deer out of a stand over the years. Haven't harassed the yard deer yet though.
Them cow whoppers are fun. Most of the time. Knew of a guy that shot a doe mule deer, from the road, the day before season, buck only unit. Arrow with blunt hit her right in the pocket and she hit the ground like she was hit with a 300mag. They were all having a melt down and ran out to get his arrow so as not to leave any evidence when she regained consciousness, got up and staggered off.

Back