• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aqueous Ozone?

Sipsey

Ok ozone junkies. Just read a article about a rechargeable, somewhat expensive ($199) device that you pour water into and it changes to ozone water. Does this have any benefits as a spray on deodorizer? Here is an excerpt from the story;

“The stats on aqueous ozone are pretty impressive. In addition to snuffing odors, mildew, and mold, it’s been cleared by the FDA to kill 99.9 percent of harmful germs and pathogens in just 30 seconds, including viruses like E. coli, salmonella, and coronavirus. Reviewers say it’s ideal for counters and other high-traffic areas in the home; some people even spray it on food due to its non-toxic, chlorine-free, and alcohol-free nature.”

Seems expensive when you could just plug a cheapo ozone generator into a diffusion stone and bubble it for the same thibg

Ok, so after a little research there are several hunter targeting machines on the market already. I was curious about the safety of the water ozone vs airborne and it is considered safe. With its extreme bacteria killing reputation I think it might be- the next big “Game Changer” :)

I havent seen this aqueous stuff discussed yet. I have no doubt some of the guys on here can figure out the best method of using the generators for homemade cheap scent killer.

Last edited:
You can get O3 generators that "charge" water for a lot less money.
I have an Aqua6 and an Aqua8 that are a hose discharge with a porous diffuser stone on the end of the hose. Its made to treat water which can be used to rinse fruits and veggies for longer shelf life. I've not used mine for that application.
I have inquired about treating water for odor control and was told the O3 wont last very long in the water...it basically dissipates apates too fast. My idea was to have a spray jug of treated water to "spot treat" certain items like boots and a few other things. I was basically convinced that water treated O3 is not the most efficient use.
I may slightly disagree with that advice for a few applications. I wonder if O3 water would be a good treatment for deep cleaning stuff like vehicle seats. Airborne O3 is only as good as how well it can penetrate a surface. It can't really do much for those odors locked deep inside the foam of care seats. I believe vehicle odor is an overlooked contaminate by a lot of hunters. They take care to shower and put on odor free clothes, but then they jump in their truck and drive a half hour sitting on a car seat that billows out odor with every bump in the road.
Odor reduction is all a matter of degrees. We can never be 100% odorless, but each percentage that we can improve upon will up our odds to a certain extent.

I don't trust any of that stuff without 3rd party testing (not paid, but someone doing it out of interest). You can't even trust your own impression (unless the effect is really noticeable) because we are all influenced by the placebo effect (mad stronger by the fact that your mind wants to justify your purchase).

Ozone is one of the strongest oxidizers and even dangerous if in the air. At high concentrations, it attacks materials. I'm not sure if there is a sweet spot of "works for deer but doesn't ruin your gear (or your health if in the air)".

I have an Aqua6 and an Aqua8 that are a hose discharge with a porous diffuser stone on the end of the hose. Its made to treat water which can be used to rinse fruits and veggies for longer shelf life. I've not used mine for that application.
I have inquired about treating water for odor control and was told the O3 wont last very long in the water...it basically dissipates apates too fast. My idea was to have a spray jug of treated water to "spot treat" certain items like boots and a few other things. I was basically convinced that water treated O3 is not the most efficient use.
I may slightly disagree with that advice for a few applications. I wonder if O3 water would be a good treatment for deep cleaning stuff like vehicle seats. Airborne O3 is only as good as how well it can penetrate a surface. It can't really do much for those odors locked deep inside the foam of care seats. I believe vehicle odor is an overlooked contaminate by a lot of hunters. They take care to shower and put on odor free clothes, but then they jump in their truck and drive a half hour sitting on a car seat that billows out odor with every bump in the road.
Odor reduction is all a matter of degrees. We can never be 100% odorless, but each percentage that we can improve upon will up our odds to a certain extent.
I‘ve read a good deal on the subject from a science perspective about its safety and effectiveness at killing viruses and bacteria. Seems it is being used more commercially with this virus thingy going on.

It seems water ph and maybe some other factors determine its life in suspension. I noticed a couple of rechargeable units with atomizers on sale for hunters. They claim after running for 90 seconds it can be sprayed with maximum effectiveness.

In theory it looks great. I think the combination of sprayer with rechargeable ozone unit has the better chance of being effective, since the aqueous ozone is claimed to be gone in short order.

Here is the unit that Ozonics just came out with. It seems to be well thought out.
1601037249273.jpeg

So it is a $200 hydrogen peroxide maker, more or less...
Ive used peroxide for mouthwash and such and have experimented with it as a spray. Do you think it would be as good at bacteria elimination as fresh aqueous ozone?

Tom, here is a link to the portable unit, it’s by ScentLok and seems to have just recently hit the market. See what you think about it being worthwhile.

I don't trust any of that stuff without 3rd party testing (not paid, but someone doing it out of interest). You can't even trust your own impression (unless the effect is really noticeable) because we are all influenced by the placebo effect (mad stronger by the fact that your mind wants to justify your purchase).

Ozone is one of the strongest oxidizers and even dangerous if in the air. At high concentrations, it attacks materials. I'm not sure if there is a sweet spot of "works for deer but doesn't ruin your gear (or your health if in the air)".
From what Ive read the concentration in water, it is not deemed dangerous, like concentrated airborne ozone. There has been a good deal off discussion in older threads about ozone for scent control. There are some members that have worked with it in industry and are well versed on it.
I am simply searching for info on this aqueous concept in a portable spray unit. If it lives up to its advertising, it could be one more tool in the hunters backpack.

Ive used peroxide for mouthwash and such and have experimented with it as a spray. Do you think it would be as good at bacteria elimination as fresh aqueous ozone?
Water infused with ozone and hydrogen peroxide will do very similar things for what we use them for, and both can be destructive to saddles and other materials but for the money I would just use HP. I stopped using either of them for that reason many years ago.

Water infused with ozone and hydrogen peroxide will do very similar things for what we use them for, and both can be destructive to saddles and other materials but for the money I would just use HP. I stopped using either of them for that reason many years ago.
I’ve used a bee keepers portable smoker for the last several years when I want to get serious

I got the newfangled contraption by Scentlok in the mail this afternoon. Got two phone calls. It had an out of state area code so I ignored the first one. The second time wife said, Answer it.” So I did. Guy says, Are you Mr. Strickland?” Kinda had a thick accent, and I said,”What?” He said, ”I’m in your front yard and your dogs are barking at me.” Opened the door and a guy waved at me from a Avis truck. He stepped out and reached down to pet the new dog and it snapped at him. I walked out and he handed me a cardboard box with the aqueous ozone machine in it and grinned. My wife was kinda curious about a box being delivered on a Sunday afternoon. I really dug deep with the best story I could muster. She said, Wow.” So I guess I can keep it.

Last edited:
Back