• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Archery Practice

Silvio

Hello guys, I finally got my doctor release and blessing to shoot my bow. I had shoulder surgery last August and cant tell you how much it bothered me not being able to shoot my bow and miss the archery season last year. Also, we sold our farm and livestock, built a new house, and retired. I set up all my shooting bales in my basement and have been shooting my RealmX this past week. Shoulder feels good but going to take it slow and easy....
If anyone shoots grizzly stick please let me know what you think about them20190715_182516.jpg
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Good to hear you can shoot again. Plenty of time to before season to practice. Don't look like you need it though. :)

Good to hear you can shoot again. Plenty of time to before season to practice. Don't look like you need it though. :)
I'm am so excited to be shooting again. I'm very rusty to say the least....but happy to being able to enjoy a sport I've loved since I was 8yrs old...thank you so much for the kind words
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

This is great to hear @Silvio. Don't overdo it to start out, you don't want to go backwards. Wish you the best of success this year!

I strained my shoulder last year drawing in a awkward position on a cold morning to shoot a yote and finished the late season just hoping the adrenaline would get me through a draw if a good opportunity presented itself. It was mid April before I could pull the bow back at all and into May before it felt really comfortable again. I have been shooting 20-24 arrows 3-4 nights a week hoping to stay looser this year. So far so good.

This is great to hear @Silvio. Don't overdo it to start out, you don't want to go backwards. Wish you the best of success this year!

I strained my shoulder last year drawing in a awkward position on a cold morning to shoot a yote and finished the late season just hoping the adrenaline would get me through a draw if a good opportunity presented itself. It was mid April before I could pull the bow back at all and into May before it felt really comfortable again. I have been shooting 20-24 arrows 3-4 nights a week hoping to stay looser this year. So far so good.
Hi Joe, thats great to hear...I'm taking it slow believe me...I think I'm going to order some beast sticks nxt month...been getting this year gear together. Just bought a Crawler deer cart for my Iowa trip or trips this season. I'll be hunting alone but went there in the spring to do some scouting and thinking I'm heading there nxt
Month to prepare some sets...well it sure feels good to draw my bow and shoot some arrows :)

If anyone shoots grizzly stick please let me know what you think about them
I've been shooting the Sitka models out of my recurve for 10 or more years now.
They shoot great for me, but they are the only carbons I've tried so I can't compare to other brands.
I fletch my own, but do other brands also have a "stiff side" that has to be determined before gluing the feathers on?
IMO, Alaska Bowhunting Supply should mark the stiff side on raw shafts that they sell.
With the use of a spine tester (which I don't own), ABS could give a very precise location of the stiff side.
FYI, for guys that don't know...locating the stiff side is critical in determining exactly where to glue the cock feather to insure consistency in arrow flight.

Good luck with your continued recovery.

Glad to hear man! And congrats on retiring!

I had labrum repair last November and just started being able to shoot bow again in April. I only shoot every other day that way there is always a day in between for everything to recover and strengthen. Hardest part is not shooting as much as I want!

Good luck in the preparations for the season.

I've been shooting the Sitka models out of my recurve for 10 or more years now.
They shoot great for me, but they are the only carbons I've tried so I can't compare to other brands.
I fletch my own, but do other brands also have a "stiff side" that has to be determined before gluing the feathers on?
IMO, Alaska Bowhunting Supply should mark the stiff side on raw shafts that they sell.
With the use of a spine tester (which I don't own), ABS could give a very precise location of the stiff side.
FYI, for guys that don't know...locating the stiff side is critical in determining exactly where to glue the cock feather to insure consistency in arrow flight.

Good luck with your continued recovery.
Thank you very much

Glad to hear man! And congrats on retiring!

I had labrum repair last November and just started being able to shoot bow again in April. I only shoot every other day that way there is always a day in between for everything to recover and strengthen. Hardest part is not shooting as much as I want!

Good luck in the preparations for the season.
Thanks Phil...going to enjoy this year for sure

Back