• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arctic shield boot covers

onestringer

SH Member
I see guys swearing by these online. Anyone here use these with a ROS that can give input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started using them this passed week when the mercury dropped. Was I thrilled? Ehh Did it take the edge off? Yup They're a bit awkward to put on with a ROS, much easier if you have a platform to stand on. Fabric noise isn't so terrible; manageable.

I have the older model one. I like to throw a hand or toe warmer in it before I zip it up. It works really well. The "retain" material is suppose to keep 98% of the heat. My material is a bit noisy though and it has no insulation. It is made from the retain only material and is 10+ years old.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had the Arctic shield ones and they didn’t do anything for me. I have the icebreaker boot blankets and they are much better imo. They are really bulky but I have no problem with them on a ros once I get them on. Dropping down the tether to a deep squat really makes it easier.

Haven't tried them from a saddle yet. I tried mine last year and was pretty unimpressed.

I've been able to make my Arctic shields work for me but there are some tips I got and had to incorporate. Firstly they don't work at all with my insulated rubber boots. They work better with my regular canvas boots and surprising better with my uninsulated hiking boots. The chemical warmers do help but need to make sure your boots are completely dry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think they work awesome with a handwarmer in them. I always wear mine with uninsulated boots though. Haven't tried them saddle hunting yet. Curious as to how that will go. If it doesn't work I have already been looking them over to see how I can trim them down and restitch them up so that they are more minimal and cover the top of my foot and down the outside of each foot. Bascially a slip on with no bottom or material on the inside of my foot that has some 3/4" strapping and ladder locks to secure it to the boot but won't interfer with my platform/ROS. And of course a little pocket on the inside of the top to hold a handwarmer.

I've been able to make my Arctic shields work for me but there are some tips I got and had to incorporate. Firstly they don't work at all with my insulated rubber boots. They work better with my regular canvas boots and surprising better with my uninsulated hiking boots. The chemical warmers do help but need to make sure your boots are completely dry.

So you’re saying for some reason with rubber boots you don’t notice an insulation benefit? Interested in this before I head out for long sits with Lacrosses on, thanks!

I don't know why it doesn't do anything for me but yes that's what I'm saying. All my other boots and shoes that are non rubber, I can definitely feel a difference. Especially when I add chemical warmers. It may also be worth noting that the rubber boots are also my heaviest insulated as well.

The XLs go on real snug over my size 11 AeroHeads... think I’ll just stick some adhesive toe warmers - or two - to the top of each boot and see what happens...

I don't know why it doesn't do anything for me but yes that's what I'm saying. All my other boots and shoes that are non rubber, I can definitely feel a difference. Especially when I add chemical warmers. It may also be worth noting that the rubber boots are also my heaviest insulated as well.

Same here, don’t notice any warmth with rubber boots. I think it’s because the heat just rises out of the boot.

I use them on a platform with a hand warmer in them. if your feet are sweaty I side rubber boots not going to help much. carry some dry socks.

I upgraded from hot Mocs to arctic shields this year. I have not used them while hunting but I did try them on and stand on my Assassin and it seems like the bottoms will make some noise. The hot Mocs had the same bottoms but they were thinner and didn’t make as much noise. Maybe they broke in over time. Anyway for you guys using a platform are they making noise when you move around ? I know it’s not crazy but it’s just enough to possibly alert deer on those super cold quiet hunts.

I'm surprised nobody has made reference to the Mickey mouse boots yet.

I can echo what others are saying about the insulation and rubber boots. I almost gave up on my arctic shields until I got caught in a situation where my feet were freezing due to having the wrong boots on for the weather. Threw the boot blankets on and was very surprised. Tried it a couple more times with the same results. The more insulation in my boots, the worse they work (and it's not just rubber boots to me). I now wear no more than 400 gram insulated boots all season in Northern Indiana, but you won't find me without my arctic shields when it gets cold! I don't use a ROS though so I can't comment there.

I upgraded from hot Mocs to arctic shields this year. I have not used them while hunting but I did try them on and stand on my Assassin and it seems like the bottoms will make some noise. The hot Mocs had the same bottoms but they were thinner and didn’t make as much noise. Maybe they broke in over time. Anyway for you guys using a platform are they making noise when you move around ? I know it’s not crazy but it’s just enough to possibly alert deer on those super cold quiet hunts.

I wonder if stealth strips or adhesive felt would fix this.

I can echo what others are saying about the insulation and rubber boots. I almost gave up on my arctic shields until I got caught in a situation where my feet were freezing due to having the wrong boots on for the weather. Threw the boot blankets on and was very surprised. Tried it a couple more times with the same results. The more insulation in my boots, the worse they work (and it's not just rubber boots to me). I now wear no more than 400 gram insulated boots all season in Northern Indiana, but you won't find me without my arctic shields when it gets cold! I don't use a ROS though so I can't comment there.
How cold of temps are you looking at in Indy?

They are ok, you need to put them on as soon as you get set up for them to work correctly. They need to retain the built up heat. If you wear over a size 10 I'd get the xxl size.

I bought a pair of volt 3v heated sock liners, they are in the top 5 best things I have ever bought for hunting. Kept my feet warm for 9 hours the other day.

Back