• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are tree saddles good for heavier guys

Njjb122

Just curious im not a huge guy 5'8 215 38" waist but it feels tight definetly cant access any pockets thats for sure i figured as much on the pants except cargos but jacket pockets are pretty much useless aswell i mean im sure im doing something wrong maybe the saddle im using is ment for skinny guys but its advertised up to 40" waist what can i do to get a little more room

I’m not sure anyone is really using their hip and back pockets, no matter their weight or body type.
A ditty bag or pouch on the saddle is nice if you can spare the room for it.

Just curious im not a huge guy 5'8 215 38" waist but it feels tight definetly cant access any pockets thats for sure i figured as much on the pants except cargos but jacket pockets are pretty much useless aswell i mean im sure im doing something wrong maybe the saddle im using is ment for skinny guys but its advertised up to 40" waist what can i do to get a little more room
I think they are but I've got a bit of a different take on your question. I was your size plus another ten pounds and about the same height, because of getting really serious with saddle hunting and wanting to be in better shape to do it, I'm now down to 180 ish. I'm feeling so much better, have way more energy and I'm going to try to get down to 175. Anyway, without the incentive of saddle hunting, I wouldn't have done this. Did I have to lose the weight to be a saddle hunter? No, but I can tell you Its much better one sticking with 45-50 less pounds than bringing that up and down with you every time. I agree about the pockets, I typically cannot access my pants side pockets or sometimes my lower jacket pockets so I use a hand muff with wool liner gloves. On super cold sits I use the same plus some handwarmers inside the muff. Finally, I use upper inside jacket pockets or my pants or bibs side pockets to access certain gear (mostly facemask, battery pack, gear hangers and extra gloves. Everything else lives in my pack. Hope this helps you.

I'm 6'1" 250 lbs now. I do well in a saddle. This last trip I accessed my jacket side pockets and my pant front pockets no problem. I like to move my saddle down a little more than most.

Try a longer bridge for more comfort.

Yea i fluctuate in weight maybe when i.get back to 190 itll be better i havent hunted in it yet just climbing in regular clothes jeans and hoody mostly and i noticed today i was able to get into my hoody pocket but it wasnt what id call effortless and i dont like hunting with gloves so my hands normally stay in my jacket pockets with handwarmers until its game time my platform didn't come yet so im pretty much tree huggin so im hoping once i can get off the tree a little bit it will lower the bridge angle a little bit ive also been putting the saddle belt above belt on my pants i might try it with the belt lower and causing the saddle to sit a little lower

6'3", 310lbs. I use a hand muff too and some of the pockets on the front of my coat. Everything else lives in a backpack, which probably contributes to the millions of posts about backpacks here. I'm kicking around the idea of sewing my own now...

Pants pockets, unless they're cargo pockets, will be relatively useless. Hell, I don't like using them anytime I'm sitting while hunting since its too much motion leaning to the side just to get my hand in there a bit. I try to utilize my easier to access pockets more.

Another thing I like is using my Bino harness to hold some often used items, like a call or wind indicator.

Back