• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are you elk ready?

Scoutman

I'm shooting everyday, swimming, biking, lifting weights,etc. Hope to be out there late August, season opens September 2nd. First time it's ever opened that late, so might help for sure. Very dry where I hunt so sitting water will be mixed in with calling everyday for sure. They came to a call very good last year, so here's hoping for a repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m hoping my plan stays together for being in the mountains 5th-19th. Pack training Almost every day. Shooting every day. Only thing that keeps my mind off shooting deer is shooting elk. Only thing keeping my mind off shooting elk is I drew a mulie tag.

Reactions: MEB
I’m hoping my plan stays together for being in the mountains 5th-19th. Pack training Almost every day. Shooting every day. Only thing that keeps my mind off shooting deer is shooting elk. Only thing keeping my mind off shooting elk is I drew a mulie tag.
Sweet, mulie is dang good eatin..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1cdcd9707741393eae82c3aaaa47fc34.jpg
6bb37e645e90b74545e031c51e488def.jpg

I’m not in elk shape but I’ll make do. I don’t go crazy exercising. It would help though. I just walk a couple miles in the hills behind the house and watch what I eat. Only lost 8#s so far and still got a big gut. But I’ll make it. Just slower than most.

I’ve been running and cycling fairly consistently. Trying mostly to get my brain in “elk shape”
Been working through the elk 101 course which has been helpful and when not on that trying to do as much e-scouting as possible. Bow is currently getting tuned up and will get back to shooting next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure is, had mulie backstrap tonight from a buck my son shot last year. I hope to draw archery tag in...great buck your son killed. 2021.
69e04ac3293fa7e2fdc5fd6f64b672e5.jpg

If you was close id have ya up and share ya some this I got in freezer. Where you applying for?
Velvet is 2016 22yard shot, hard horn is last September 2019 27 yard shot.
f76f7f9ed371eb0c8d4e66a3342557c4.jpg
51266c9fbb907ac51a50d3cd3d042e07.jpg
480a5113988b6dd35cb444758f55756f.jpg
c34d1b1afd671ede61905e917f2670fe.jpg

Great bucks congratulations!! We see nice ones every year but takes about 6 years to draw archery where we hunt in Colorado. We bought a little piece in 18 and get a 2nd season rifle landowner tag for mule deer, not much on gun hunting, so our son shot his last October. Congrats again

I’m not in elk shape but I’ll make do. I don’t go crazy exercising. It would help though. I just walk a couple miles in the hills behind the house and watch what I eat. Only lost 8#s so far and still got a big gut. But I’ll make it. Just slower than most.

Don't let them elk-shame you lol. I'm in the same boat as you. The guys that have the time to get into 'elk shape' are either single, absent of, or neglectful of family/professional responsibilities. I'm not judging, just calling it how I see it lol.

Leaving in 10 days for Colorado, back mid-october. Hope to have pics to share! Good luck to everyone.

heading up 4th-20thwith mule deer tag in tow. If I score early, I’ll grab an elk otc if I’m seeing em. Can’t come fast enough. Safe travels keep up posted!

Don't let them elk-shame you lol. I'm in the same boat as you. The guys that have the time to get into 'elk shape' are either single, absent of, or neglectful of family/professional responsibilities. I'm not judging, just calling it how I see it lol.
The born and raised outdoor guys talk about this...."you don't need to be Arnold Schwarrzenegger to hunt elk" If you watch their videos they are definitely normal looking dudes that likely enjoy an oatmeal creme pie or two like me. If they can go several days into the high country and chase elk, I'd venture to say most of us can too

What a person looks like (within reason) has nothing to do with their ability to operate at altitude. If your body is used to functioning at a high level with lower levels of oxygen, you’ll do well. From what I can tell those folks are living and spending lots of time at elevation.

cardio conditioning is obviously important. But not as important as above.

grit is probably just more important than cardio, and probably Still not as important as being “used to it”.

at least that’s the way I see it. If you’re a quitter, you’ll quit. Hiking in the mountains, especially chasing critters that live There, is definitely type 2 fun.

If your body is used to functioning at a high level with lower levels of oxygen, you’ll do well. From what I can tell those folks are living and spending lots of time at elevation.
I still remember my first trip to Colorado. We were using an drop camp outfitter and he'd pack us in, drop us for a week and then come back with the next guys to drop when he packed us out. We were all young, early 30's, active athletes, and in great shape from a summer of training (at 800 ft above sea level) to get ready for the rigors of altitude hunting . I still remember how amazingly out of breath I'd get from simply trying to saw a few logs for firewood at 9000ft. Between the four of us we could barely keep the wood supply for the next night stocked. The deal was you were supposed to have cut enough wood to supply the next crew for two nights before you left. We barely met that requirement after what seemed like several hours of cutting.

The outfitter came and brought in the "next group", a group of somewhat pudgy 40-50 year olds from Denver. They set about gathering and cutting immediately upon disembarking the horses and I felt like they had more wood cut and piled in the time it took the outfitter to unload their stuff and reload ours, than we had cut all week. Talk about a humbling experience. Bottom line is nothing gets you ready for altitude better than being at altitude.

Hunted out there last 15 years, if you don't live out there, elk shape is relative,lol.

What a person looks like (within reason) has nothing to do with their ability to operate at altitude. If your body is used to functioning at a high level with lower levels of oxygen, you’ll do well. From what I can tell those folks are living and spending lots of time at elevation.

cardio conditioning is obviously important. But not as important as above.

grit is probably just more important than cardio, and probably Still not as important as being “used to it”.

at least that’s the way I see it. If you’re a quitter, you’ll quit. Hiking in the mountains, especially chasing critters that live There, is definitely type 2 fun.
Amen! You get what you put into it.

Back