• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow Build

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
Archery season is over in Colorado. Now it’s time to build arrows for spring hog hunting down south. I enjoy putting a unique touch on each set I build. This set will have a swirl base. Came out awesome. I’ll crest next weekend and fletch the following week.

I thought some of you might enjoy this type of thing.
Crest base swirl drying.
4193cd05380e6b74748764e05bdb1b62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
No, I shoot GT Trad. (carbon). I used to shoot wood, but I’ve gotten soft! . And, I bounce too many off rocks and trees! Carbon arrows are the way to go.

Yes, I do all the splicing. Thank you for the kind word.

Reactions: Blacksmith

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
Next step......remove the masking to review our base crest with our new “swirl”.
5d32f48bcd9644604966d7411b435bf5.jpg

Looks good so far. Next we will breakout the ol’e spin cresting machine and paint brushes to add our “pin stripes”. More photos to come.

tmattson

Jul 2, 2019
South East Michigan
Ok explain the process oh how you did the swirl. I have to try this, and the feather splicing. Have some test arrows to screw up and toss if I have to, and probably well over a thousand feathers in various cuts and lengths and colors I bough at a auction.

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
I’ll insert links rather than rewrite the process:

Here is where I learned to marble dip my caps. I use a large jar, like a pickle jar, to swirl. Be sure to slowly spin your arrows as you go. Oh, get oil based paint (Testors model paint at Hobby Lobby-$1.50/color) so it floats on the water!!! I only use 3 color dips. To many colors can get tricky.

Reactions: woodsdog2

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
Here is where I learned to splice feathers. I use Bohning fletch tape rather than glue. I’ve used Kool-Aid to color feathers if I can’t find a specific color. Example: I made some North Carolina colored fletching for a friend. I couldn’t find the “Carolina Baby Blue” feathers anywhere........so, I used blue raspberry Kool-Aid to dye.....worked perfect.

• Love
Reactions: Kurt

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
No, I shoot GT Trad. (carbon). I used to shoot wood, but I’ve gotten soft! . And, I bounce too many off rocks and trees! Carbon arrows are the way to go.

Yes, I do all the splicing. Thank you for the kind word.
Masterful work, good lookin arrows.

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
Ok, I’m ready to continue and start the cresting portion of the project. I have everything ready to roll. At this point in the process, I like to start laying pieces out to get an idea of what the final product will look like. It’s never too late to change course! I’ll send some final cresting photos soon.

9913334cdd8934e2818167d1fe76e654.jpg

On a side note: I got lazy and bought some pre cut, two tone feathers to by-pass the splicing process. These are 4” parabolic feathers and will match our swirl perfectly.....as you can see.

0093360762900bbe300788a61ff3569d.jpg

JoyRyd

SH Member
Dec 1, 2019
NW Colorado
Cresting completed. They are now ready for fletching after drying overnight.

4d03b652b1316aa10b04678f39d544ab.jpg

Now for the business end!! I use 100 gr brass GT inserts with a 50 gr GT FACT insert weight on the back. I front everything with 150 gr heads. My arrows are 30” (nock groove to insert) and weigh in at 625 gr total. I pull 29 inches @ 48 lbs. I’ve used this setup for over 10 years and it has never let me down. I, on the other hand, have let it down before. Oh, the preferred engine is a 62” Black Widow PSAX.

77f446fcaccb09af0c4859286242229e.jpg

Last edited:

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
Your work reminds me of one of my bowhunting mentors. He was my middle school science teacher and wrestling coach. He was from the Clarion PA area and was a longtime bowhunter. He made his own port-orford cedar arrows, aligned the grain to spine the shafts (similar to what we have to do with carbons), heated them to straighten if needed, crested them, young feather burner, poly them up. Absolute works of art. He used glue on Bod-Kin three blades. Beautiful arrows. For years he shot Trad then when my buddy and I got into bowhunting he would invite us up to his place to help us figure out equipment and taught us the basics of shooting. Great guy. Anyway, he was shooting those absolute works of art out of his Browning Drake Flightmaster Compound for you old timers. Got a buck every year too and hardly ever gun hunted.

Reactions: JoyRyd