• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow naming

Red Beard

SH Member
My brother is newer to archery but he's already getting pretty good with a stickbow. However, he has the occasional flier and he and I were recently discussing methods to differentiate between arrows after you've flung them. The goal was being able to identify if a particular arrow was flying consistently true or not. I suggested he number them as I have done this in the past (1, 2 & 5 fly well but 3 & 4 may need additional nock tuning kind of thing). Instead, he went about naming them; something I had never thought of before. Anyway, I had quite a chuckle when he sent me a picture of the trio he's currently working with.
IMG_1648.jpg

So what do you call your arrows?

Told him this morning I had picked names for a few of my pointy sticks. Honestly, I think many of mine were the strikethroughs from the list I submitted when we were naming our children...

SEND IT
Excalibur
Rain
Payload
Thor
Mr. Goodnight
Pickle
Kembo Slice
Long range
Salvo
Wildcard
Hit and run

Names??! Half of the time I can't remember my own name, let alone arrow names.
I have a 5 arrow quiver. Works well for numbers because I have 5 fingers on my counting hand.
It's a good thing that I don't have an 11 arrow quiver...counting could get complicated.
Not sure what you would use to count number 11. But may not want to have a broadhead in your one hand when you get there. :eek:

I’ve never ever had a problem with an arrow, never had to get into the weeds of numbering naming or tuning. Never got the concept. With that said I’m only hunting, not trying to hit a 10 ring at 80 yds. But I regularly practice out to 100yds with compound.

My brother is newer to archery but he's already getting pretty good with a stickbow. However, he has the occasional flier and he and I were recently discussing methods to differentiate between arrows after you've flung them. The goal was being able to identify if a particular arrow was flying consistently true or not. I suggested he number them as I have done this in the past (1, 2 & 5 fly well but 3 & 4 may need additional nock tuning kind of thing). Instead, he went about naming them; something I had never thought of before. Anyway, I had quite a chuckle when he sent me a picture of the trio he's currently working with.
View attachment 79513

So what do you call your arrows?
I numbered 1-6 and squeezed in a mother blanker #

Back