• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow nock problems

e1han

So a little backstory... I switched last year to a smaller 4mm arrow to try to maximize on penetration. Not sure if that is actually going to help but it's what I did. The problem I started having last year and has continued to this year is that my knocks are getting stuck onto the string. When I shoot an arrow the arrow flies off fine, but the nock stays attached to the string. I was wondering if anybody has had this issue, whether it actually matters, and whether or not I should just glue it into the arrow or find new nocks.

At Least for a trad bow, you should be able to hold the bow horizontally by the string and tap the nock hanging on it and it fall off. Sandpaper on a nail file or heat and pinch tighter to adjust. They shouldnt be that tight.

Are the nocks loose in the arrow? You could also re-serve using a thinner diameter serving material, or re-nock using a larger nock opening. Your nocks shouldn't be pulling out of your arrows. You could glue the nocks but that's a band aid. To tight nocks erode accuracy, and launch consistency.

Are the nocks loose in the arrow? You could also re-serve using a thinner diameter serving material, or re-nock using a larger nock opening. Your nocks shouldn't be pulling out of your arrows. You could glue the nocks but that's a band aid. To tight nocks erode accuracy, and launch consistency.
The nocks are definitely too tight around the serving. If I knew how to re-serve I would probably just go that route, but my knowledge on that is limited. My thought is that I will try to buy some different nocks that fit my 4mm arrows that are a little larger so they fit my current serving better.

Watched a Ranch Fairy video. Started using a thin strip of electrical tape around the nock and the back of the arrow to keep them on. Even without the string issue, I have had them come off at impact or after. Glue would seem more permanent when tape can be changed out easier. Amount of light coming out is still high since the tape isn’t very wide.

At Least for a trad bow, you should be able to hold the bow horizontally by the string and tap the nock hanging on it and it fall off. Sandpaper on a nail file or heat and pinch tighter to adjust. They shouldnt be that tight.
I've done it that way for forever. But with my new heavy arrow/Ashby build, I somehow discovered that my new arrows shoot better with tight nocks. Who wouldda thunk it? Ive concluded that nock tightness is all part of the spine/tuning process. It all depends on your entire set up. In my case, the classic nock fit did not produce the best arrow flight.

Back