• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow point weight question

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
So I have been building all of my arrows with 200gr points, I have recently found a new broadhead that when assembled is 235gr. Now for the question, since I do not shoot longer than 25yrds I do have a 30 pin, will I see some significant arrow flight changes? So in simple terms with 35gr make a big enough difference that I should wait till off season to even experiment? Thanks in advance!

So I have been building all of my arrows with 200gr points, I have recently found a new broadhead that when assembled is 235gr. Now for the question, since I do not shoot longer than 25yrds I do have a 30 pin, will I see some significant arrow flight changes? So in simple terms with 35gr make a big enough difference that I should wait till off season to even experiment? Thanks in advance!
Not an archery coach but I’d say yes, with a caveat that lots of variables can affect how significant, and shape your definition of significant as well.
My personal opinion (which is worth what you paid for it) is that any more than like, an inch deviation in any direction, is grounds to wait until off season. Windage deviation would worry me more than elevation drop, which can be compensated for.
TLDR: if I was personally shooting more than an inch or so low, I’d shoot current tackle until I had time to tune. If I have almost any windage deviation, I’m waiting until I have time to tune.

Why are you wanting to go to a 235gr from the current setup and what benefits will you get from the 235gr at 25 yards that you aren't getting from the 200gr?

Why are you wanting to go to a 235gr from the current setup and what benefits will you get from the 235gr at 25 yards that you aren't getting from the 200gr?
Width of cut. Nothing more or less, and it’s just 1/4” but for the exact same price I am paying for the BH I can gain a tiny bit more FOC and a bit more damage/ cutting area. I am pretty much a stickler for tuning my system and to be honest I’ll probably go ahead and pick up the BH’s and just wait till after season to see how they act.

Thank you guys for the answers!

What's the total weight of your normal arrow? I doubt it will make much difference if you already limit yourself to 25yds. I myself pretty much do the same. I have a 15 yd ,25 yd 35 yd pins cause that's all I can get. That 35yd pin is pretty much there only if I need it. I haven't killed a deer that far in years. Most have been 20 and under so there almost no drop.

What poundage are you shooting? If you are shooting 50 pounds it will likely make more difference than if you are shooting 70. It would also depend on how close to the line your current arrow is to being weak spine. If you have some wiggle room, then it probably won't make much difference.

Cheapest thing to do is get some appropriate weight field points and try that out first. If they tune you are probably ok to get the broadheads and try them on your current setup.

Keep us posted. In the end shot placement is your most crucial goal. Accuracy will trump cut diameter. If you can have both, why not. Try it on targets if you do not like it then back to a known earlier set up.

I went ahead and bought the bh’s and now I’m messing with the TAW just because. I’ll will probably dive a bit deeper into this after season but really wanted to hear a bit of what some of you guys thought as I am no expert.

Back