• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrows released, and results

kyler1945

SH Member
Quick and dirty details on arrows released at live targets for 2021-2022 season. Will add as I go.

1 - Bull Elk. 550lbs+ Broadside, 25 yards, 10' above me. 520gr arrow, 1.5" wide COC head. Full passthrough, entrance mid body, exit slightly rearward. Decent blood from shot to 50 yards short of animal. Died less than 200 yards from shot site. Assumption is liver/stomach, while also cutting the dorsal aorta. Didn't gut to figure it out. Recovered 5 hours after shot.

2 - Grouse. 350gr arrow with small game tip. dead. eaten.

3 - Whitetail Fawn. 70-75lbs 520gr arrow, 1.5" wide COC head. Walking in to scout property, bumped the deer feeding on acorns midday. I bleated, and it came to 35 yards (ranged). I dialed to 35, found a good opening, and drew. The deer was standing facing slightly quartering to. I lined up with the deer's heart, and released. My arrow traveled EXACTLY where I was aiming. Only problem is the deer swapped ends before the arrow arrived (290fps ish). I aimed at right shoulder. I hit left side rear of ribcage, and exited left ham. What's interesting is I don't remember the deer swapping ends. I remember the deer dropping before bolting, and assumed by strange sound and blood on arrow, that I hit backstrap. We had wind noise to cover getting arrow and looking for blood. Arrow passed through but little blood and had fat on it. We walked up the treeline looking for blood and about 50 yards from shot, found first few drops. Then several drops, then the deer stood still and lots of drops. Then many drops with bubbles. Now we are really confused. Trailed the deer with great blood another 250 yards to where it died on it's feet in a fallow field. Lesson learned. Your memory lies to you, and deer can move A LOT in the time an arrow takes to arrive at the target. Crazy the thing swapped ends, in the small opening I had to shoot, and still managed to die.

4 - Whitetail doe. 130lbs. 520gr arrow, qad exodus. Came out of thicket at 25 yards, right where I expected. Only problem is she never stopped, making her way onto trail going right under tree. Drew on her as she was in thicket, and followed her to stopping directly under tree. If she continued, I'd have a nice 5 yard quarter away shot. She stopped, and tensed up hitting my scent. Pin between shoulder blades. Shot through spine, heart, and out bottom of deer into dirt. She dropped, and was dead within 20 seconds.

5 - 9pt. Whitetail Buck 150lbs. 520gr arrow, 1.5" wide COC head. Deer came running to a grunt call. Right at closing time, slight drizzle. I had plenty of time given circumstances, but took an easy 7 yard broadside shot. As I released, my release arm hit tree with me turning into shot and bumped me back on the deer. Hit him high mid body, exit low further back. I saw blood come out at shot, and assumed I hit dorsal aorta, and the deer would be dead in short order. I elected to back out however, given uncertainty. Plenty of blood at shot site, and 10 yards into trail. Came back in the morning, blood dissappeared within 50 yards of shot site. Found where he crossed a creek 200 yards or so away. Grid searched all areas we expected him to go. Another hunter found him in a pool in the creek 300 yards away, about 50 yards past the last place on the creek we looked for him. Assumption by condition of carcass, he lived at least 24-48 hours, or he died that night and sunk to bottom of pool. Creek dropped throughout week potentially exposing him to hunter who found him. Will never know. Either way, deer dead within 300 yards of shot site.

6 - Whitetail Doe. 150-170lbs 520gr arrow, qad exodus. Giant doe. Almost positive she was bigger than the 9pt. A doe came running at full speed through my set. I instinctively grabbed my bow thinking a buck would be following. It occurred to me she was running for her life, not trotting away from a buck. By the time that notion set in, a second doe was barreling in. I drew when the deer was at about 100 yards. When she was about 30-40 yards out I bleated. To my surprise, she slammed on the brakes, and stopped 5 yards from my tree quartering to. I put the pin high in shoulder due to angle, and released. She bleated at the shot, and bounded 30 yards. Stood still for a minute, then walked 50-75 yards into thicket. Flicking her tail sideways. I heard her cough about 2 minutes later and thought it was the death rattle. Elected to leave deer overnight due to wanting to hunt the spot in the morning anyway. Returned, trailed the deer to where I heard the cough. She was dead there. But she was still warm and quite flexible. When cleaning the deer, I realized I hit very close to spinal cord, breaking back bone. My guess is that is why she yelped at shot, and never ran - only walked. I think she lived most of the night, but couldn't move due to shot hitting so close to spine. Exit low in gut, and her insides were hanging out at shot (my red edit to cover up gross exit in submission thread). Definitely passed through a lung or two, liver, stomach, etc. Glad I let her lie, she may have attempted to run if I busted into that thicket right after shot. The deer was quartering harder than I thought, and I hit higher than I thought. Memory is deceiving.

Will add more as the season progresses, I hope.

7 - whitetail doe. 40 yards. 520gr arrow, IW solid 125gr, broadside from the ground. Alert. Judged distance for 35. Deer turned to bolt, one blade cut hair on leg. A few cut hairs at shot site, arrow bounced around in brush. A couple flecks of blood no more than 2” down shaft. She ran away like greased lightning.

8 - whitetail doe. 15 yards 520gr 1.5” wide coc head. Broadside from tree stand. Wind was blowing 30mph plus on gusts. Was just settling pin, wind blew me off my balance and I shifted and accidentally released. Arrow missed by 3’, exploded, didn’t recover business end. All I could do was laugh.

9 - whitetail doe. 15 yards 520gr coc 1.5” head. Quarter to from tree stand. Entry just behind and above elbow. Exit just past midline behind last rib low. Left deer overnight, decent blood, but open woods. Recovered deer easily within 200 yards.

10 - 8point whitetail buck, 200-215lbs. 520gr coc 1.5” wide head. 18 yards quarter to. Had the deer’s head behind a tree, and abother tree about 3” behind the elbow. I would prefer to tuck it right there, even on the quarter to, but elected to aim front of the shoulder. Arrow entered just inside front shoulder, exited arm pit just in front opposite leg bone. Deer took off full speed, made 3 strides, and flipped upside down on fourth step. Blood shot 8-10’ out at impact. Dead within 20 seconds tops.

11 - Very large, unknown amount of points, whitetail buck. 225+lb. 505gr BE rampage 250 with rage standard 100gr head, out of HC Mini (285ish fps). Ran in chasing a doe. Aimed lower third center body, and pulled the trigger. I must have jerked the shot, because I hit him high in the shoulder. Appeared to get zero penetration. Arrow broke off about 3-4" down. Fell out about 75 yards from shot site. Trailed spotty leg blood for about 600 yards before it was lost.

12 - 8pt whitetail buck. 225+lb. 505gr BE rampage 250 with 1.25” coc 2 blade. out of HC Mini (285ish fps). 28 yards. This deer walked in on the blood trail of the screw up from earlier this week. Literally crawled through the same tree that deer did, and started eating beans. Had about a 3’ or so hole to thread through. Quartering away. Calm. Mini is zeros at 27. Let it fly with a good calm release. Felt good but heard things happen between me and deer, and he didn’t act hit. Saw a branch I didn’t see before bouncing. Had to beat deer off with a stick to check arrow. Arrow was at a much steeper angle in ground than the flight. Looks like I caught that branch and pushed it just under him. Wouldn’t be surprised if back of arrow actually grazed him.

Missing sucks. Cold streaks suck.

Sounds to me like you need to get out of the woods and practice at home some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like you need to get out of the woods and practice at home some more

Haha I wish that lack of arrows through bows in a back yard was my problem. I’m guessing I sent at least 2000 arrows down range in 2021.

I need to get out of the woods and go fishing. Or work.

1 Stalked a group of does for 30 mins and finally got within 23 yds of biggest doe. Shot felt good but I think I hit small unseen twigs and ended up hitting high. Arrow was 560 grain single bevel head and glanced off something after impact,never to be found. I thought I saw a patch of red high on the body of the deer but couldn't be sure. Deer ran off 10 yds and looked back. Stood there for a few and then ran off. I found some hair at hit site but no blood. Followed the trail for 60 yds no blood. Then I grid searched and found no blood. I came back with a hydrogen peroxide mix in a spray bottle and no blood.
I think I hit back strap because of the deflection.
2. Shot a small doe at a downhill angle at about 20 yds quartering away slightly. Arrow did not pass through and I heard a dull thud. It hit the opposite leg. Entrance was lower third behind last rib and exit by the elbow on opposite side. I got guts,liver and one lung. I had to follow that doe a little ways and put another arrow in her to speed up the dying.
The opposite elbow had the outside of the knuckle sheared off.

Haha I wish that lack of arrows through bows in a back yard was my problem. I’m guessing I sent at least 2000 arrows down range in 2021.

Not trying to be mean or anything but you are doing something different than practice especially shooting a crossbow. just rushing or not waiting for “the shot”. You are obviously doing just fine with the finding deer aspect!

[/QUOTE]

Thats funny.....your going fishing right?

13 - 130lb whitetail doe 505gr BE rampage 250 with QAD Exodus. out of HC Mini (285ish fps). 44 yards. Was scouting my way out of the woods on last hunt of season for this particular property. Had three does walk in to me. Was able to get an arrow nocked. First two flagged and third pegged me. She stomped her way to about 15 yards behind a bunch of tangled brush. Started to bound off so I bleated at her. She came to a stop at 44 yards(my guess was 40. The mini hits 10" low at 40. At this point I was on my butt with both arms resting on a knee. I set the dot on her back, and released. She stood still after release and it 12 ringed her. Death run for 75 yards or so into a tree. Complete pass through, but the arrow either turned back slightly or she was slightly quartered to. Caught both lungs heart liver and stomach it looks like.

Nice!!! Way to get the monkey off your back with a buzzer beater!

Congratulations on an eventful season.
-for including the misses and struggles, it’s honest and captures a “ cold streak” more than posting a grip n grin and moving on.
Hopefully less experienced hunters pick up, that in the field shots from crossbows and well tuned bows are not guaranteed.

Congratulations on an eventful season.
-for including the misses and struggles, it’s honest and captures a “ cold streak” more than posting a grip n grin and moving on.
Hopefully less experienced hunters pick up, that in the field shots from crossbows and well tuned bows are not guaranteed.

yup. I’ve put 10’s of thousands of shots through a bow. Tune everything. Practice often. Have killed tons of critters.

here’s what I love about the bowhunting paradox:

If you put a razor sharp broadhead in one side of a deer’s rib cage, and out the other side, it will die, and usually quickly. It’s about as good of a guarantee as you can get in life. The absolute nature of that is kind of nuts if you think about it.

The problem is the number of things that can happen, within or out of your control, that can prevent you from putting a razor sharp broadhead through both sides of a deer’s rib cage.

This paradox is what makes hunting so addictive to me.

but it’s also something new people should be aware of. Bowhunting is about a 50/50 proposition once you pull the trigger. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t kill a lot of deer, or is lying.

11 - Very large, unknown amount of points, whitetail buck. 225+lb. 505gr BE rampage 250 with rage standard 100gr head, out of HC Mini (285ish fps). Ran in chasing a doe. Aimed lower third center body, and pulled the trigger. I must have jerked the shot, because I hit him high in the shoulder. Appeared to get zero penetration. Arrow broke off about 3-4" down. Fell out about 75 yards from shot site. Trailed spotty leg blood for about 600 yards before it was lost.

Update on number 11.

I guess I was wrong on "leg blood". I reckon we got a lung, and then he had a rage rattling around inside of him, likely going to work. I was under the impression from how the arrow broke off and the blood on it, that it didn't get completely into the rib cage. Don't trust your eyes and brain.

Hunting buddy sent me screen shot of a FB post about a found deadhead. I was 75% sure it was the deer from that picture. I begrudgingly and doubtfully sent the fellow a friend request. He was very friendly. I sent him a pin where I shot and where last blood was - it was about 200 yards from where he found him. And he agreed to hand over the rack.

People are awesome sometimes.

I can at least finish the chapter it seems. I'll wait to post pictures once I feel better it's my deer and it's in my hands. But he's a bruiser 9pt.

Good story. Your story is probably like most hunters out there. Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on. Which 1 1/2" COC BH?

Back