• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ASIO Gear Hunting Apparel

LoadedLimbs

SH Member
With another thread on ScentLok vs. Sitka vs. First Lite going strong in the General Hunting forum, I figured I’d start a new thread on the latest entrant in the high-end hunting apparel market:

ASIO gear

I searched the site and found very few posts that mention the company or the gear - probably due to it being so new.

The company was started in South Carolina by Joe Miles, a seasoned whitetail hunter who wanted to bring to market a line of clothing tailored to the whitetail deer bowhunter who prefers to hunt from elevated positions in trees.

As fate would have it, the launch of their product line was aligned with the Fall of 2020, and then the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak in early 2020 wreaked havoc with all new commercial ventures, and undoubtedly affected the initial sales. Now in their 3rd year of business, I finally took the plunge during the recent 25% off Labor Day sale and purchased a set of early-season and mid-season ASIO Gear clothing.

My first impressions:
1. Quality is high end - on par with Sitka and Kuiu.
2. Fit is excellent - I’m average build, 6’0” tall, 35” waist, and 185 lbs and the size large hoodies, jackets, and pants fit me perfectly. The drape and freedom of movement is better than my ScentLok sets, and even better than my limited pieces of Kuiu and First Lite.
3. The fabric choices are top notch - they are dead quiet, super comfortable, and have some “give”.
4. Pocket arrangements are excellent. All pockets are zippered and have adequate room without excess bulk. When loaded they don’t “blouse out” like pleated military cargo pockets do.
5. The sherpa fleece lined, WINDPROOF pieces are impressively warm without bulk.
6. The mid-season gloves are a good balance of protection from early morning cold while maintaining dexterity and the ability to manipulate tech screens on a phone or gps. Not sufficient for really cold weather, but not designed for that, either.
7. The hoodies are really well done. They are lighter weight fabric than I’m used to for hoodies - similar to Sitka pieces in that regard. They are super comfortable, and have exceptional freedom of movement when layered with other pieces. Like Sitka, they have an integrated face mask that you can pull up when desired.

Overall, I’m impressed and looking forward to using this apparel throughout archery season here in New England.

If you have any ASIO Gear pieces or have used it in the past, please share your own thoughts and opinions on it in this thread, whether good or bad.

Thanks!

I really like their vest. It has a great warmth-to-weight ratio, and it’s quiet and comfortable. I also bought one for my old man, and he liked it so much he bought several more pieces (and was gifted a couple more for Father’s Day this year). I didn’t love the Sherpa fleece neck gaiter because it was a bit too stiff/not stretchy enough for me, but I’ve been very pleased with the clothing otherwise.

I just ordered the Sherpa bibs and jacket as well during the sale. I’ve been shopping around and those pieces checked all the boxes for me to try. I’m 5’10” 165 and the medium bibs fit me great. Not bulky, more athletic fit and no bunching up by the boots. Tons of pockets, two way zip fly, internal velcro waistband adjuster and full side zips. Only thing I’d change would be the suspender buckles, they are a little big but seem durable.

The jackets has the angled rangefinder pocket and phone pocket on the chest. Nice thick Sherpa hand pockets and a longer tail of the jacket. Windproof, passes the blow test. I did size up to a large for layering. Again athletic fit, no bulky sleeves and quite.

I plan on running these from the mid 20s up through 45-50 degrees with proper layering depending on wind.

Customer service is great and responsive! I talked with Joe and asked about the warranty. He said lifetime on any failure.
I’m looking forward to testing these out this fall!

It is expensive.
That's one thing about buying clothing or boots online, I'm really picky and I have a hard time spending big money on clothes that I can't try on. (not that I don’t)
Their stuff looks really nice though!

It is expensive.
That's one thing about buying clothing or boots online, I'm really picky and I have a hard time spending big money on clothes that I can't try on. (not that I don’t)
Edit- also they have free returns for you to try stuff on.
It is for sure. I’ve been rocking some old thrown together pieces for years. I was due for and upgrade and the 25% off sealed the deal for me. It is price competitive for what you get imo.

The vest is excellent, as well as the early season hoody. I’m still considering their late season bibs/jacket

I’d pass on the late season hat.The fit is too tight. I’ve also heard the rain gear is loud. It sure looks like frog toggs.

They also have a great return policy to compensate for being online only

It is expensive.

@phatkaw - I'm also really picky. I'll say this - it's really nice clothing for whitetail hunters, but I had the same reluctance to purchase it. Because of the money-back guarantee I figured I had nothing to lose if I didn't love it. I wrote to the owner, Joe Miles, back in August and asked if he had any upcoming sales or active discount codes since I wanted to update my hunting wardrobe and would be buying a couple of sets to cover early and mid-season.

He certainly didn't have to tell me about it, but he said he was planning a Labor Day sale event that I could take advantage of if I wasn't in a hurry. I waited and was thrilled to see him offer the entire product line at a discount. Given the number of pieces I purchased, I reached his top discount tier for the Labor Day sale (25% off). I received the clothing a few days later and tried it all on figuring that I'd return anything that I didn't love, or that didn't fit great. I liked it all so much, I kept everything that I ordered.

If you're interested in the product line, sign up for email and text notifications and you'll be the first to know of any sales or specials that he runs. My guess is that the next big opportunity for savings will be Black Friday, but that's just a guess. I hate paying a lot for hunting clothes and I certainly don't like paying full price on product lines that run sales from time to time. I think anyone who buys ASIO Gear apparel will be extremely happy with the product itself, and if they get it on sale, they'll love the value they're getting too.

I have the sherpa pants, jacket and hat. Its really good stuff and Joe and Kevin are good people. I ripped the tags off of the jacket before trying it on and of course it was to small. Got in touch with Joe and went to his office and exchanged it for a larger size. Im assuming Id been screwed if I had bought from one of the other companies. I will upgrading my early season gear as well. They also have a pretty good podcast as well. I believe its called Mission Whitetail.

Back