• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aspiring Saddle Hunter in IA

BLaw

Hey Gang -

Just wanted to thank all the regular posters for all the info, thoughtful discussion on this board and introduce myself.

I’m a lifelong Iowan, but just started bow hunting in 2017. Got my hunter’s safety in Boy Scouts at 13 and then squandered about 20 years of possible hunting opportunities.

Last year hunted private land in Southern Iowa from ladder and semi-permanent hang-ons. Lucked into 140” 10pt 3hrs into the first sit of my life (10/7) and then managed to harvest a couple does later in the year.

During the off-season started getting real into the idea of being mobile, hunting public near the private to which I have access and the opportunities for urban hunting around where I live. Pulled the trigger and ordered a Mantis in September after listening to the recent WTH podcast with John Eberhart. Hoping the saddle arrives in the next week to use for the remainder of the year. Managed to prep some trees on that private back in September with screw-ins, got some Muddy sticks and a 4 pack of the Primal V-steps for mobile sets once I can get to hanging.

Thanks again. I look forward to picking brains and refining my system with the help of this community.

-B

Welcome! I was just in Iowa last weekend. We drove from MN to Albia and never saw a single deer. I don't believe there are any deer in the whole state.
It’s true, except maybe the metro areas. I see probably a dozen deer almost every night feeding or bedded in downtown Des Moines. Now if only I had a system where I could quickly and safely hunt from an elevated position, I’m certain my freezer would already be full!

Welcome! I was just in Iowa last weekend. We drove from MN to Albia and never saw a single deer. I don't believe there are any deer in the whole state.
Dang right there are no deer in Iowa!! Spread the word!!

Saddle came this week and was able to spend some time hanging in it in my backyard this week. First saddle hunt will be tomorrow morning. Travel corridor down wind of a bedding area. Tree prepped with ring of screw in steps.

Any last words of wisdom or advice?

Welcome from SE Michigan. Born in Iowa though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back