• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attaching Lineman's Belt To Kestrel

farmlegend

I know I'm missing something.

I've watched youtube videos on performing the figure eight on a bight knot, and I can now do 'em blindfolded; they look perfect, just like they appear on the videos.

However, I have no idea how to tie that knot and end up with the loop in the knot secured through the lineman's belt loop on my Kestrel.

It almost seems like I'd need to cram the whole kestrel through the knotting process to end up where I want to. And I'm sure that's not how it's supposed to be knotted.

Any leads? Recommendations? Links?

I know I'm missing something.

I've watched youtube videos on performing the figure eight on a bight knot, and I can now do 'em blindfolded; they look perfect, just like they appear on the videos.

However, I have no idea how to tie that knot and end up with the loop in the knot secured through the lineman's belt loop on my Kestrel.

It almost seems like I'd need to cram the whole kestrel through the knotting process to end up where I want to. And I'm sure that's not how it's supposed to be knotted.

Any leads? Recommendations? Links?

Here is a link to an older PDF of the aerohunter evolution user guide. Page 3 illustrates how to tie the figure 8 on a bight where you take the tag end of the rope and thread it through the loop (bridge or linesman’s) before finishing the knot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8b74rn4c4emg33/AEROEVOUSERGUIDE03-25-15.pdf?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Another option is to tie the figure 8 and then just girth hitch it to the lineman's loop.

Another option is to tie the figure 8 and then just girth hitch it to the lineman's loop.

I think that’s what he’s trying to do and he’s trying to shove the bulky figure 8 through the small lineman’s loop. Though you could just shove the smaller tag end of the rope through it...

I think that’s what he’s trying to do and he’s trying to shove the bulky figure 8 through the small lineman’s loop. Though you could just shove the smaller tag end of the rope through it...

If I understand correctly I think he is trying to tie the first knot in the aero hunter pdf you linked but onto the kestrel which won't work. You are right that to tie that knot directly on you would need to use the second version.

I think you want to tie what's called figure 8 follow-through or figure 8 retrace. Start with your line going through the lineman's belt loop, tie a figure 8, then retrace your figure 8 with the tag end. You will need a lot more rope than you think you need when you start.

Back