• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attaching stick and predator platform to Kestrel

Jimmy Wallhanger

My plan is to attach 3 of my muddy pro stick amd my predator platform to the molle loops that boarder the upper back. Has anyone done this and if so how? Pictures would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

That's a lot of junk hanging off the saddle. I don't think you'll like that. One of the reasons I don't do sticks and a platform. Too much to fool with when you're up a tree.

I'd try to set at least 2 sticks from the ground, and carry the platform on a pack. One stick off of eqxh sode of the saddle is about all I think you'll be able to deal with.

That's a lot of junk hanging off the saddle. I don't think you'll like that. One of the reasons I don't do sticks and a platform. Too much to fool with when you're up a tree.

I'd try to set at least 2 sticks from the ground, and carry the platform on a pack. One stick off of eqxh sode of the saddle is about all I think you'll be able to deal with.

Thanks for the reply. Your probably right about the three sticks, Ive done two when climbing to use my hang on.

I have been setting two from the ground and carrying 3-4 sticks up the tree, it's been a bit of an adventure. If I go slow it works. I use the bridge loops on each side, Then I have these elastic cord things that clip to the molle loops I mount back further. I have a bag with a long strap that I throw over my back with the predator in it.

I hang two sticks on the ground. Then, I have a nite eye on my saddle that I wrap around my other two sticks. I keep my platform on my backpack. Then, on the last step I just slide my backpack to one arm and grab the platform off my pack then use the nite eye on the platform and hang it on my lineman's rope.

I usually do 2 sticks from the ground. I loop one of the sticks over the 2nd stick climb up and get the 3rd stick off the second second stick, so I only have to fool with 1 stick and the platform.

Most of the time, I tuck my platform into my shirt/jacket. (Yeah I know scent control, could be the reason I did not get a deer last year.).

I set the first stick from the ground. My sticks have a permanent aider sewn to bottom step so I can not hang two from the ground. Then I hang one stick in my right and another in my left bridge loops. My API sticks hang easy by setting the top stand offs through the bridge loops. My platform attaches with a carabiner to a mole loop in center back of my Kite. Backpack with bow/rifle in my back and up the tree with everything all at once.

I would hang my first two sticks then climb with one connected to my saddle and one connected to the back of the predator platform. I would use the versa strap to sling the predator over my shoulder. That way I didn't have too much stuff pulling at the saddle. Used aider on 1st step.

My process when getting to the tree.
1) drop pack and get sticks and platform off.
2) put pack back on
3) hook my pull up rope up to my bow
4) throw it over shoulder messenger style
5) hang first stick with @DaveT1963's single moveable aider
6) hang the other two steps on my lineman belts loop (mantis)
7)step up on first step and hang second step
8) repeat steps 6 until you're at hunting height
That was an incredibly long way to say I only hang 2 steps on my saddle going up..

I place my first stick on the tree as high as I can reach and hang sticks #2 and #3 off my saddle. I use an aider so I can't place stick #2 from the ground. Platform is in the backpack and this works for me. I try to keep my gear hanger handy so I can grab that at the top of my 3rd stick and hang it, then hang my backpack to retrieve my platform.

So all this handling of sticks really makes me want to perfect one sticking... and repelling for next year... less noise and movement.
I find if I take three sticks up the tree the quietest way is to leave them on the ground and hook them from the tree using a gear grappler and doyles hoist. It is not too hard or noisy.

The only way I end up using sticks and thinking "that went well" is with the windwalker. 3 cut APIs, no aiders.
  1. Take windwalker and sticks off back.
  2. Detach sticks, put stand on back
  3. Attach fist and second stick from ground
  4. Hook 3rd stick on windwalker.
  5. Climb up 2 sticks, unhook 3rd stick
  6. Set 3rd stick
  7. Set windwalker.
  8. Tether up
  9. Wrap fanny pack around tree
  10. Hoist bow
The sticks pack very well on the windwalker, and the profile is managable in all but the very thickest brush. Done this way, there's minimum fuss, and I'm set in 5 minutes. Only 12ft off the ground, but sometimes that's not a bad thing.

I have been using sticks exclusively for about 4 years now. I used to be a 100% climber guy and just haven't carried one much in recent years.

When I first started, I made a decent amount of noise with my sticks. Now, I honestly believe I can make it up the tree with zero metal to metal contact IF I take the time to pay attention and do it right.

I have two pieces of advice for you.

1) Test out a few systems to see which one you like.
For me, I can't seem to beat the benefit of a climbing stick. Finding the right length, number of steps, and aider or not is on you. Once you find that system.
2) Perfect it!
Find the times you're most likely going to make noise and then plan for those. My most likely times to make noise are when I am taking my sticks apart or when ascending with the predator messenger style(it works, but I'm trying to work it out a little better). On the way down, I typically don't care as much about the noise and will drop my sticks from the tree, so noise isn't that big of an issue.

Back