• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attachment methods for sticks (cam buckles, OCB buckles, Amsteel, etc.)

TNbowhunter

SH Member
I have a set of three full-size Hawk Heliums, and I used the standard straps with cam buckles last season. I don’t typically hunt more than about 300 yards from my access point since I’m mostly on private land and not having to hike past all the other hunters to find unpressured deer. Do y’all think upgrading to Amsteel (or another attachment method) would make a meaningful difference for me, or is keeping what I have and spending my limited “fun money” funds on other gear the better decision? If upgrading is recommended, would you suggest Amsteel daisy chains or something else? Safety and ease of use are higher priorities for me than saving a few ounces.

I like amsteel daisy chain just because it is less bulk the weight of the cam buckles doesn't bother me, I just prefer how the amsteel folds up.

For $40 or less (depending on size) you can get 40' of Amsteel and make (3) 7' daisy chains. That is one of the best upgrades for a set of sticks imo. They weigh so little, are far stronger than the cam buckles, they hold extremely well and you lose the sound making potential of the buckle. The only slight drawback is that it's a little harder flinging the rope around a big tree but that's negligible.

Amsteel daisy chains shine when you're one-sticking. Since you're not moving sticks once they're on the tree, you should just stick with the straps. I'll provide you with my address if you really just have to part with the cash. ;)

I'd say keep what you have. Maybe even put the money towards bolts and have the trees all pre-set?

For $40 or less (depending on size) you can get 40' of Amsteel and make (3) 7' daisy chains. That is one of the best upgrades for a set of sticks imo. They weigh so little, are far stronger than the cam buckles, they hold extremely well and you lose the sound making potential of the buckle. The only slight drawback is that it's a little harder flinging the rope around a big tree but that's negligible.

I think you'll need more than 40 feet for that. Without brummels and buries eating up line, you'd need 42 feet minimum.

One cool thing about daisy chains is you can also use them like a rope mod with a wrap if you want. I use my daisy chains like that half the time.

I think you'll need more than 40 feet for that. Without brummels and buries eating up line, you'd need 42 feet minimum
You might be right but I was able to make (3) ~6'5" daisy chains out of 40' of 1/4" Amsteel. I started with 13'4" pieces, a ~10" bury for the stick loop, links starting at about 34" from the loop and even used triple brummel locks on each link of the chain.
Screenshot_20200513-224447_Gallery.jpg

You might be right but I was able to make (3) ~6'5" daisy chains out of 40' of 1/4" Amsteel. I started with 13'4" pieces, a ~10" bury for the stick loop, links starting at about 34" from the loop and even used triple brummel locks on each link of the chain.
View attachment 28170

I folded it in half and also did triple brummels with short links. So, the number of locks will vary. It seems you saved rope with that single rope area between buries. I had two parallel ropes there. For a 7' daisy chain, it took over 15'.

I folded it in half and also did triple brummels with short links. So, the number of locks will vary. It seems you saved rope with that single rope area between buries. I had two parallel ropes there. For a 7' daisy chain, it took over 15'.
That must be it. I figured that I didn't need links in that area of the rope. It would have to be a really small tree to need them any closer to the stick. If I do use them on that small of a tree, I could just wrap the it around twice to make it work.

Best thing I found (on here) with amsteel is to just pass the stick around the tree! That's huge-i hunt big cottonwoods and it sure made my life easier!!

Back