• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back at it finally after 2 months

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
I broke my left wrist 2 months ago and I went in yesterday and got the all-clear to start back putting some real weight on it again. I have not been able to practice shooting my bows or climbing (I did do a 2TC climb shortly after I broke it, before going to the orthopedist), or work out my upper body in a while. I went out this morning and put 10 arrows through my compound at 20 yards. My left shoulder was pretty twingy but my wrist did not give me any problems. I'm not the best bow shot on the best of days but having taken two months off I was not as horrified by the results as I thought I would be going in. I need to really tighten those arrows up, but then again, I am a close-range hunter, and 25 yards is a long shot for me, with my 4-year average being 16 yards.

I was pretty happy with my longbow shooting. The first shot out of the gate with no warm up was off the top of my shop at about 8 yards onto a coffee can lid. I nailed that one. Then I shot a few arrows at 12 yards into my haybale at a small green leaf. I was pretty happy with that.

Now I have to get back to the weightlifting.

Attachments

• compound 1st day back.jpg
    compound 1st day back.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 27
  • longbow 8 yards from height 1st day back.jpg
    longbow 8 yards from height 1st day back.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 26
  • longbow 12 yards 1st day back.jpg
    longbow 12 yards 1st day back.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 25
Glad you are healing and able to practice. My shoulder is deteriorating from arthritis but I plan to keep shooting the old recurve as long as possible. May you be blessed with a successful season.

Nice job. Looks like the the layoff didn't hurt you too much. Glad to hear your on the mend too.
Thanks! I was really surprised I did as well as I did after that layoff. I sort of thought I wouldn't be able to hit a barn door. I sure missed shooting my bows. I also got in some bench presses today.

Glad you are healing and able to practice. My shoulder is deteriorating from arthritis but I plan to keep shooting the old recurve as long as possible. May you be blessed with a successful season.
Thanks! Yes, it's good to be back at it. It was hard laying off and giving my wrist time to heal. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I have some rotator issues, but I push through. Hopefully you will be shooting that recurve for years to come. Good luck with your season too.

(I did do a 2TC climb shortly after I broke it, before going to the orthopedist)
Heman! Seriously though, glad you're healed up buddy. I've been down with 4 broken ribs the past month and just started shooting my bow again this week. May you finish healing quickly and be good as new!

Heman! Seriously though, glad you're healed up buddy. I've been down with 4 broken ribs the past month and just started shooting my bow again this week. May you finish healing quickly and be good as new!
Ha, yeah, post #1140 in the Why don't ya'll 2TC thread! I suspected a fracture, but an X ray a few days later said nope, broken. Just shows how easy 2TC is. You can do it with a broken wrist, lol.

Oh man! I had no idea you had broken ribs. Those are no fun at all. I broke 3 in college while bench pressing a little too much weight and I bounced the last rep, flexing my ribcage. I just wrapped a bandage tight around myself and muddled through. Broken ribs are literally a pain. Every time you breath in or out it's like a stab from an icepick. Let's not even mention when you sneeze! I hope you get over this real soon.

Last edited:
I got out again just now and sent a few more arrows downrange. I think this 2 month hiatus has helped me. I was suffering from some self diagnosed target panic (or just crappy shooting, lol) and I seem to have come back better than when I left. The three fletch is my light arrow at 550 grains, shot was from 20 yards. The 4 fletch white is the standard hunting arrow I have adopted. It is 650ish grains and 29% FOC. Shot with it was 25+ yards. I just stepped it off, I didn't bother with the range finder. My left shoulder is still twingy. The wrist is doing great. Man, if I can keep this up, I'm going to be a happy camper.

Attachments

• 550 at 20.jpg
    550 at 20.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 650 grain at 25.jpg
    650 grain at 25.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 7
The 4 fletch white is the standard hunting arrow I have adopted. It is 650ish grains and 29% FOC. Shot with it was 25+ yards. I just stepped it off, I didn't bother with the range finder.
How much weight are you drawing with your longbow to get that 650gr arrow 25+yds without it looking like it fell down out of the sky?

How much weight are you drawing with your longbow to get that 650gr arrow 25+yds without it looking like it fell down out of the sky?
These were with a Mathews Heli M 60 pounds with 28 inch draw. They are going plenty fast, and I set the 650 grainers to be a bit high at 10 yards, dead on at about 20 and about 2 inches low at 26 to 27. Then I just shoot it a lot and learn the slight hold over, and under, Its pretty easy. I use a single pin and shoot inside 25 yards on deer. These arrows are very quiet out of my bow.

My longbow wood arrows are about 670 grains, and I am shooting a 56# at 28 inches Northern Mist longbow. For the longbow, I just look at the spot I want to hit and shoot. It is instinctive. My range on deer is about 20 and in for real hunting situations with the trad gear. I have a carbon UFOC setup for the longbow too. It is around 650 grains and over 30% FOC. They fly like darts and are dead silent.

My longbow wood arrows are about 670 grains, and I am shooting a 56# at 28 inches Northern Mist longbow. For the longbow, I just look at the spot I want to hit and shoot. It is instinctive. My range on deer is about 20 and in for real hunting situations with the trad gear. I have a carbon UFOC setup for the longbow too. It is around 650 grains and over 30% FOC. They fly like darts and are dead silent.
Right on. I was just wondering why the trajectory looked so flat. The arrows or of my 43lb stickbow look like flag poles sticking out of the side of a target from 30yds.

Right on. I was just wondering why the trajectory looked so flat. The arrows or of my 43lb stickbow look like flag poles sticking out of the side of a target from 30yds.
What weight arrows are you using?

Slung some more deer spears this morning out of the compound. These were the 650 grainers. I walked out to about 27 yards for the cold shot. Didn't range. Just eyeballed it. Nailed it. Then the next one I backed up to 30 yards, eyeballed a bit of elevation (3 or 4 inches) and sent the arrow. Another good hit. I'm feeling pretty good at this point about my compound shooting.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 2
Back