• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back hunting after 5 years off.

b73

I’m not real good at this but I’ll try it out. I have 4 small kids at home 3,5,7 & 9!! So I didn’t hunt much in the last 5 years but this year I’m back to hitting it hard. Obviously I’m here so I changed to a saddle this year, just received it about a week ago. After my first few hunts I’m blown away by the changes in hunting. Maybe it’s mostly from finding this group and all the knowledge shared. The saddle is an amazing way to hunt and I doubt I’ll ever go back to climbers. Permethrin on the clothes is incredible. All the apps and mapping out now allow me to just walk off in any direction deep into the woods. I can get lost in the back yard without it!!! The knowledge being shared by guys like the hunting beast, THP, John Eberhart etc. Even simple things like gear ties. I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting but it’s a great time to be a deer hunter!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back, like stepping out of a time machine?

Yes. I’m so glad too. Not just the saddle and tech advancements but the mindset of deer hunters. It was getting ridiculous, same with fishing here in SE La. It should be fun! Something you do to relax and spend time with friends and family. I’m as competitive as anyone but taking things to extremes just ruins it. If I’m hunting and see an animal I want to take I’m going to take it. Making people feel like they have to abide by a ridiculous standard some have achieved is crazy. I don’t expect my kids to play sports like a pro!! I’ve been blessed to not really care what anyone else thinks so it’s never been an issue personally but I think it’s hurts things on a whole.

I agree, there still are some guys out there that ruin it with over competition mind set or they think they "own" the deer but I just avoid those and gravitate toward like minded hunters. SH.com has shown that is is almost all good guys.

I agree, there still are some guys out there that ruin it with over competition mind set or they think they "own" the deer but I just avoid those and gravitate toward like minded hunters. SH.com has shown that is is almost all good guys.

Yeah like I said in op it’s mostly from finding this group of good people and great info. I don’t think we have many of “those” guys here.

Back